Am I the only one that still uses GEN 1 LEDs?

Nov 1, 2010
Mass.
So I've been looking around the site quite a bit, and I've noticed that not many people seem to be using any 5mm LEDs anymore... Aside from strobes and an gen3 amber TA to the rear, that's all I have on my truck haha. Is this just because I'm on a budget or am I really behind the times?

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
My sergeant prefers them...loves the way they look. He has Whelen Avengers on his back deck, but the front of the car is nothing but Gen1 LEDs by choice.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Some people in my dept use tir grill lights and gen1 dash lights... The next town over has patriots with gen1 leds and strobes. Theyre good head on.

Nov 1, 2010
Mass.
hmm... maybe its just because the stuff has kinda fallen into my lap on a few occasions, and also because it's a fair bit cheaper. Secondary question: I know TIR doesn't usually have good off-axis light, but how does it compare to the 5mm? For example... slimlighters. I've got a gen1, and it does okay off-axis, whereas I've heard the Gen3 is lacking in that department.

firemedic105

Jun 2, 2010
East Coast of Canada
I am still using quite a fair amount of the Gen1 LEDs. I Prefer them for some reason.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
naww..i have a few..4 accually on the rear of my lightbar and two on the snowblower :D HAHA

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I have a 5mm dash light and two 5mm grill lights I like them and my pd has a unit with a patriot lightbar and its gen 1 and strobe mix looks okay.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
There's a vollie FD the next county over when I work part time on the ambo that has a mid 90s Chevy Suburban or Tahoe that has nothing but gen I LEDs. Kind of interesting, as it's an all black ride, with red lettering and has the Sho-me full size Luminator, four micro-lites on the grille, HAW strobes front and back and some LEDs in the back (interior) of the truck I can't remember. All together, it still does a very good job.

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
theroofable said:
The next town over has patriots with gen1 leds and strobes. Theyre good head on.

Yeah the SD where i live has some. The strobes really stand out. They are slowly switching to to slicktop inner edges or liberties

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
west haven ct still uses the patriots GEN1 they are attention getting. also they are great for rear of amber vehicles like plows set on single flash also the Whelen S/T/T blow away any of the typical truck light supplies

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.