Amber DA twin sealed beam beacon, ADDED PICS of the Internals

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Hello All,

A recent aquisition from the bay. A Used but not abused DA 2 sealed beam beacon. This one has mag mount and cigar cord on it. This is my first piece from North of the Border, so I don't know much about it. It has a high flash rate, somewhere around 150 FPM. I don't know if this is typical, but a neat little light. The internals are dated '95.

A pic and a short video link.

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz312/ccr203/Amber%20DA/th_IMG_20110915_132056.jpg[/URL]

Enjoy and as always comments are welcomed.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Ive got 2 or 3 of those in my collection. Theyre not a very common light. They had a very unique spring loaded bulb holder that flipped up on a hinge. They are a direct drive, manufactured through the 90s until DA closed up shop. Ive never seen one with a flash rate like that, looks like someone stepped up the motor, they had a 75 flash per minute rate as described in the catelogue

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Richard P said:
Ive got 2 or 3 of those in my collection. Theyre not a very common light. They had a very unique spring loaded bulb holder that flipped up on a hinge. They are a direct drive, manufactured through the 90s until DA closed up shop. Ive never seen one with a flash rate like that, looks like someone stepped up the motor, they had a 75 flash per minute rate as described in the catelogue

When I had it apart the motor looked factory, complete with what appeared to be a factory harness going into the motor. I can disassemble it and add pics of the internals if that helps. The circuit board that the motor is mounted to is dated 95, so this might be a later, possibly last run then I guess.

I literally won the light for the opening bid.

Richard do you have any idea if this could have been a factory option high flash rate???

Also what is this thing worth??? It is in good used condition and, obviously functional.

Chris

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Hoser said:
Nice light Chris, is it possible that its a European model with a faster flash rate? Just a thought.

I thought of that however I have NO experience with DA lights. I know they are a Canada product but that is basically it. It could be made for the European market. I am hoping for the DA experts here to jump in and help me learn more about it. Richard P doesn't believe it should be this fast of rotation but I cannot find anything that would suggest the motor was tampered with.

I am simply inexperienced with this brand. I had no idea of the flash rate when I bought it. I have a very minimal investment in it which is basically why I now have it.

It is a neat light and the output at the speed it rotates is impressive.

The mystery continues.

Chris

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Jeez, that's the fastest sealed beam light I've ever seen! The motor looks like a servo-type one since it requires a circuit board. Very interesting beacon for sure.

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
That is something Ive never seen before. I know my way around a Dominion Light, but as a DA collector, Im stumpped! Mine all have a small motor and one gear, just like any other rotaotr.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Richard P said:
That is something Ive never seen before. I know my way around a Dominion Light, but as a DA collector, Im stumpped! Mine all have a small motor and one gear, just like any other rotaotr.

Could this have been a Euro model or an experimental?? This thing has me confused. I cannot find any info on it aor why this thing spins so fast.

Chris

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Lt.214 said:
Could this have been a Euro model or an experimental?? This thing has me confused. I cannot find any info on it aor why this thing spins so fast.

Chris

I dont think its euro at all. I think its a "smart" beacon. When Dominion Auto owned Target Tech, the target tech rotators came in "multi-function rotators" which were able to rotate, takedown, worklight or alley light. Im maybe thinking that this could potentially stop in certain positions, change speed, perhaps oscillate. To make a beacon rotate fast theres no need for circuit board and servo/stepper motor, theres far more inexpensive ways, like a 9v motor.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.