Amber LED heads for fog lights

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Any thoughts on using IONs or comparable light heads as low profile fog lights, is their steady burn beam pattern suitable??

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
I wouldn't use it. What happens if it accidentally changes to a flashing pattern? It would be hard to notice in the daytime. For the price of the Whelen ION's, you're better off getting something from feniex industries like Feniex Fusion 100 Light Stick - this light has a decent size metal housing to absorb the heat.

I'd try reaching out to a dealer who would be willing to special order a steady burn only light (if feniex still makes them).

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
Hey Chief, I can't speak to the use of ION's, but two things:

I picked up some very inexpensive PAR36 size amber LED's and run them as steady beam fog lights in amber, and I use the same lights along with some Tomar 3 pod LED's in white to supplement my reverse lights. They are tied into the reverse circuit and can also steady burn.

I would think the issue with ION's and other similarly sized LED's used as amber fog lights depend on what you're trying to achieve, I think they are better to be seen, than to use them to see - if that makes sense.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I wouldn't use it. What happens if it accidentally changes to a flashing pattern? It would be hard to notice in the daytime. For the price of the Whelen ION's, you're better off getting something from feniex industries like Feniex Fusion 100 Light Stick - this light has a decent size metal housing to absorb the heat.

I'd try reaching out to a dealer who would be willing to special order a steady burn only light (if feniex still makes them).

I'm not sure fog lights have any effect in daylight fog or snowstorms, it's never occurred to me to activate them in daylight, but I've never had fog lights on any of the cars I've owned/driven over the last 35 years.
Are un-commanded flash pattern changes common with these category LED light heads?
But back to my original question, would the amber steady burn beam pattern of these current LED light heads be suitable as a fog light?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
....I would think the issue with ION's and other similarly sized LED's used as amber fog lights depend on what you're trying to achieve, I think they are better to be seen, than to use them to see - if that makes sense.
This I understand, but there are a gazilion LED heads and sticks marketed as driving/off-road lights and even amber fogs, but they're all too high profile for my taste, with my PIU I was considering permanent behind grill or quick-disconnect/mount on a license plate bracket.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Most warning lights should be in the same brightness range as head and fog lamps. I don't see an issue. More than once, I've put a blue filter over standard fog lights (halogen) and ran them through wig-wag circuitry. You seem to want the same, just in reverse.

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
This I understand, but there are a gazilion LED heads and sticks marketed as driving/off-road lights and even amber fogs, but they're all too high profile for my taste, with my PIU I was considering permanent behind grill or quick-disconnect/mount on a license plate bracket.
The vertical lights on the license plate bracket are Tomar "takedown" lights. Those and the PARs on the corners all come on manually or with the reverse circuit.

Inked0B966A73-AA8B-4F63-BD8C-799893A98D37_zpszkd8uhjs_LI_zps5juzqgu4.jpg

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The vertical lights on the license plate bracket are Tomar "takedown" lights. Those and the PARs on the corners all come on manually or with the reverse circuit.

Inked0B966A73-AA8B-4F63-BD8C-799893A98D37_zpszkd8uhjs_LI_zps5juzqgu4.jpg

This does nothing to answer my question- are any of today's micro LED heads in amber suitable as fog lights- do they throw the correct beam/distance?

Reactions: Tony P

May 27, 2010
Memphis, TN
My bad, I just thought I would show you how I mounted mine as you mentioned mounting something similar in a similar fashion. Good luck finding out what you're looking for...

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
If you want foglights, buy proper foglights.
Emergency lights are not designed to be used as working lights and are most certainly not compliant for automotive useage as anything other than warning lights.
If you want/need foglights and want to keep them low profile get a set of Hella Micro DE foglights, and make sure you get the specific halogen foglight version. They are very small but very, very good.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
One problem you're going to run into is beam aim. Warning lights pay no attention to beam aim, they throw light fully, whereas modern headlights/fog lights cut off so as to not blind others. In order to aim them properly you'll need them pointed 30* downward, at which point they'll do little in terms of lighting the road.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.