Ambulance

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
What do you guys call your ambulances?

Where I work, we call for them by asking for a '10-52' (code for ambulance call) or EMS, but when I get caught up, I will sometimes say 'Send me a squad' and dispatch will answer 'a what?'. My old volly dept had Life Squads, thus my deep rooted habits.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Places I have worked (all ALS units) call them...

Unit -BLS and single medic private company

Medic -single medic private company and muni 3rd service

Squad -single medic private company

Life Squad -double medic muni 3rd service

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Dept name is tri boro first aid squad. so have 4 pieces of equipment.

3 ambulances and 1 expedition

But we sign in either as triboro (unit number) or rig (unit number) is in service.

ohi007

May 21, 2010
Canton, oh
in the field, squad, medic, signal 29 (sheriff)

in dispatch they are refered to as trucks. ie: "send the truck from station __ to that call"

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
If a police officer calls for an ambo they usually say "start the squad for...ex. neck pain" or whatever the injury is. in house we either will say ambulance of rig

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
600 (used to be numbered 603, 606, 607... before changing to state radio 4 digit numbers, 6744, 6746, 6748...) or FM or FMA (FM Ambulance).

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
For our county this is how it works:

BLS Ambulance: is called an Ambulance. Ex. Ambulance 18-1

ALS Chase unit (Expeditions, Suburbans...etc) are called Medics Ex. Medic 97-2

ALS Ambulance or ALS Transport unit: MICU (Mobile Intensive Care Unit) Ex. MICU36-2

We simply request ALS or BLS, depending upon the injury.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
They are referred to on our frequency as the first name of the ambulance service. In our case, Pafford EMS.

Example,

"Send Pafford to my location."

May 22, 2010
Hunterdon County NJ
Around here fd and ems would request an ambulance, BLS or rig. PD always says squad(but dispatchers know they mean ambualnce), If your fd or ems and request a "squad", you will get a rescue engine, if you say start "rescue", you will get a rescue truck.

Alovebaby41

May 23, 2010
Texas
in my local pd use the therm "I need rescue at my location". Or they say "I need pridemark" which is a private contractor that we use.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i need an ambulance.

role me a 47

i need a 10-47 @ .......

Stendec

May 21, 2010
evidence destruction unit type dry = squad

evidence destruction unit type wet = fire truck

strainer = boat with basket litter lined with screen, so no evidence is lost off the cadaver when it's hoisted out of the water

pmcg10

Jun 14, 2010
Connecticut
BLS - Rescue

ALS - Medic

Also acceptable: WHHHHAAAAMMBULANCE, Band-Aid Brigade, Doc-In-A-Box

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
Usually here, just about everyone calls them all "medics" reguardless of ALS or BLS. Either that or we just call for them by name. Ex: Careflite ground, Whitney EMS, ECT

rangerbob

May 25, 2010
Maryland
BLS - Ambulance 7xx

ALS - Medic 7xx

7 is our COG number for DC and xx is the station number. If you've got more than one at a station you add A, B, C, etc. Example: Medic 701, Medic 701 Bravo, Medic 701 Charlie.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
BLS - ambulance. ALS - medic or paramedic (depending on jurisdiction and/or level of care, and piece of equipment).

PG also has paramedic ambulances, which are 1 BLS and 1 ALS provider. Most, if not all, other areas run 1 and 1 for their medic units, but PG is contractually bound to run a certain number of medic units (2 ALS providers).

D

Donslockkey

Here als are also ff. So if a critical case comes up they will send a second ambulance as well as have als on the fire trucks. Don Myhre

gooseguy

May 23, 2010
PD and FIRE will request EMS to respond.

I never understood why other public safety personnel can't get it right...it's called an ambulance, the people on it are EMT's and/or Paramedics.

How PO'd would the public safety community be if I got on the radio and asked for the Hose Monkey's or Hose Jockey's or Stretcher Fetchers respond to the call? Or the Police Car drivers?

Yeah, that could be fun.

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
Phoenix is on an automatic aid system that dispatches for almost the entire metro area. Phoenix FD runs their own ambos staffed w/FFs, and they refer to them as "rescues" while other agencies contract with private ambulances, but a lot of the time they seem to have adopted the same parlance, so most of the calls on the aid system go like this:

Field Unit: "I need a rescue Code 2 (or 3)

Dispatch: "Copy, you'll have Rescue XX" or "Copy, you'll have Southwest XX" etc.

Every once in a while you'll hear "ambulance" used.

At the Sherriff's office where I volunteer, medical personnel attached to the SO have medic call signs regardless of provider level. So the deputies will say "I need a medic unit" or "start me a medical unit." When we get there, we usually just call for an "ambulance" or "transport" if needed.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
NYC- Bus

Rockland County NY , 105 code for bls ambulance .

PD will say send me Medics and 105 for .....

Rig in upstate NY

spike91

Jun 11, 2010
New York
Here in the Susquehanna region of New York we have a number system. The first two numbers indicate the agency, the second two the vehicle number. A lot of agencies categorize the second two numbers by class, ie...

7621 and 7622 are ambulances; 7651 and 7652 are fly cars, and 7661 is a trailer, 7662 is a gator

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Stendec said:
evidence destruction unit type dry = squad
evidence destruction unit type wet = fire truck

strainer = boat with basket litter lined with screen, so no evidence is lost off the cadaver when it's hoisted out of the water
Now THAT is some funny shit!

We just tell dispatch to send a "squad" or "rescue". If we want the hosers, we say "FD". We usually specify which town, since we roam county-wide.

VFVFCo.68

Jun 15, 2010
Valley Forge, PA
Well, my company doesn't have ambulances, but when we call for one out of a neighboring company, we ask county, "Can you get us a MICU..." Mobile Intensive Care Unit.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
VFVFCo.68 said:
Well, my company doesn't have ambulances, but when we call for one out of a neighboring company, we ask county, "Can you get us a MICU..." Mobile Intensive Care Unit.

Here a MICU is a unit with a nurse run by a hospital that does inter-facility transfers.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
"Radio send life."

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
BLS rigs= we call them by unit number ex. 34-3-57, but we also refer sometimes refer to ems covering as a squad. ex "when the squad's in service, have them stage at x nd x." we refer to them as rigs to.

ALS= Medic

When I'm working at the PD they're refered to as a 10-18, but usually ends up being the "A-team"

We had a running joke at my firehouse for years that we referred to one of our engines as a "squad" as it carried some water rescue equipment and BLS equipment, and the majority of the FF's at the time were EMTs.

Code3EMT

Jun 16, 2010
California
When we need an ambulance at a PD call we just say "Start fire.." And then a little description for the reason. But when they're getting toned out, their call sighs are Medic-- (Ex Engine7 and Medic1 chest pain...) and then when we use AMR, that is their call sign (Ex Engine4 and AMR227...) Rescue units are out "Special Operations" which carry our heavy equipment and HAZMAT stuff.

Kind of off-topic, but all of our callsigns are as follows:

Truck--

Engine--

Rescue--

Brush--

Grass--

Medic--

AMR--

Battalion--

Utility--

Prevention--

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.