Ammo preference

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Hello all,

Just purchased a Taurus PT-111 9mm and was wondering what everyone’s preference for carrying ammo is.

I’ve got Winchester target ammo for practice rounds but wondered what kind of rounds to get to carry for self defense.

Previously with my .45 I carried Hornady Critical Defense hollow points and was thinking about those again.

Opinions?

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Are you wanting to shoot a Streethawk?

Reactions: Mattdecker

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
I've carried my S&W 6906 since the 80's. I swear by Georgia Arms 115 grain JHP 9mm ammo.
I've shot thousands of rounds of this stuff, never a problem. I practice with what I carry.

Thanks. I’ll take a look at it. I bought FMJ’s just for target practice but wasn’t sure what to use for regular carrying.

I’m waiting on a response from someone on Facebook for a date for my concealed carry class so I can get that license.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I practice with what I carry.

Great advice..
I use whatever I can find cheapest to practice with.. however I make sure I know where my POI is on my carry ammo..
I've tried many different types... from Aguila, to Federal, to Cor-bon or whatever its called. And knock on wood I have never needed to use it!

I don't have a preference so long as it cycles reliably and I know where my POI is.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
Just an FYI, don't get creative with the type of ammo you use in your carry weapon.
The courts and lawyers will have a field day with you. Stick to an accepted/widely used round.
If you ever have to shoot someone, aim for center body mass. Most available ammo will stop them.

Reactions: Dave F

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
When I went CCL I bought 4 brands of off the shelf HP and shot them all through my LC9S pro. Which ever one printed/grouped the best is what I decided to carry. My gun likes Federal hydrashok.

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
There are lots of reviews and many internet forums with billions of opinions on the "best" carry ammo. My recommendation is if you know some local LEOs who carry 9mm, ask them what they carry as duty ammo. If it's what the pros use, it should work for you and should be defensible in court.

I carry .40 cal, so don't have an opinion on 9. I carry HP and practice FMJ, but it's the same grain so the feel during practice is as close to same as possible. I also periodically practice with carry ammo, just to reassure myself it cycles and to rotate it out. I recommend you fire at least a box of whatever carry ammo you decide just to know it works as expected in your gun. Whatever ammo you practice with, more range time is always better as is more training. Stay safe.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
There are lots of reviews and many internet forums with billions of opinions on the "best" carry ammo. My recommendation is if you know some local LEOs who carry 9mm, ask them what they carry as duty ammo. If it's what the pros use, it should work for you and should be defensible in court.

I carry .40 cal, so don't have an opinion on 9. I carry HP and practice FMJ, but it's the same grain so the feel during practice is as close to same as possible. I also periodically practice with carry ammo, just to reassure myself it cycles and to rotate it out. I recommend you fire at least a box of whatever carry ammo you decide just to know it works as expected in your gun. Whatever ammo you practice with, more range time is always better as is more training. Stay safe.

Thanks. I’ll get some opinions from some friends of mine that are LE.

When I had my .45 I carried Hornady Critical Defense but that’s been a while.

Right now I have Winchester FMJ for practice. I am planning on going to my cousins house next week while I’m off since he has his own range he built for him and his wife.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Also consult your owners manual to see if you have restrictions... I can't shoot +p out of my .380... If I could afford RIP rounds I'd use those but it could be bad in a law suit lol...

I use Barnes tac XP.

A Wiseman once said "the best bullet to carry is the one you never need"

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Also consult your owners manual to see if you have restrictions... I can't shoot +p out of my .380... If I could afford RIP rounds I'd use those but it could be bad in a law suit lol...

I use Barnes tac XP.

A Wiseman once said "the best bullet to carry is the one you never need"

Will do. I’ve talked with some guys at work and got their opinions too. Next I’m gonna talk with some friends of mine in LE and see what they say.

I pray I never have to use it but you never know.

We had a robbery close to me a while back where 3 guys knocked on the door and the guy let them in because one was wearing a hat that said Police. So he naturally assumed they were cops. They held him at gunpoint and took all he had.

I like RIP rounds but I’ve heard they work best with Glock.

Most of the guys I talked to so far have generally agreed with some type of hollow point but they vary with brand.

BLUELIGHT

Jul 7, 2018
Hendersonville NC
Old thread, but the RIP ammo is a gimmick. Don't recommend it. Federal HST is about the best you can get.
LuckyGunner.com has a bunch of ammo tests with common self defense ammo using ballistic gel. Look it up. Some brands were outstanding, others fair to poor.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The most current thinking is best combination of 14-18" of penetration and largest overall expansion of the spent bullet thru 4 layers of denim into 10% ballistic gelatin. Don't get sidetracked by the LE standards, their environment may require them to shoot thru barriers the typical civilian concealed carrier will realistically (or legally ) never have to.

Based on that criteria my research of others' testing results found the best combination of penetration and expansion in 9mm is Federal 124gr HST hollowpoint.
Using the same criteria I have selections for .38 and .45acp, .223/5.56 (both urban & suburban/rural) and .308 too.

Last edited:

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
The most current thinking is best combination of 14-18" of penetration and largest overall expansion of the spent bullet thru 4 layers of denim into 10% ballistic gelatin. Don't get sidetracked by the LE standards, their environment may require them to shoot thru barriers the typical civilian concealed carrier will realistically (or legally ) never have to.

Based on that criteria my research of others' testing results found the best combination of penetration and expansion in 9mm is Federal 124gr HST hollowpoint.
Using the same criteria I have selections for .38 and .45acp, .223/5.56 (both urban & suburban/rural) and .308 too.

I actually went with 2 different types. My magazine is loaded with Winchester HP, not sure of grain off hand.

My spare magazine is loaded with Hornady American Gunner +P HP.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Old thread, but the RIP ammo is a gimmick. Don't recommend it. Federal HST is about the best you can get.
LuckyGunner.com has a bunch of ammo tests with common self defense ammo using ballistic gel. Look it up. Some brands were outstanding, others fair to poor.

I had heard that the RIP rounds shot best out of a Glock. A friend of mine at work has them and he said they aren’t that impressive. Neat idea but from what I’ve heard, they are poor in reality.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
I like the idea of RIP ammo, but use it in the manner its intended for and lawyers will have a heyday with it. Federal or Winchester is what I use.

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Shoot whatever you can afford to practice with as placement is far more important then bullet type. Manufacturers have figured out how to market in such a way as to get folks to fork over $1-2 per cartridge, and people fall for it. I grew up on a large ranch, have hunted my entire life, veteran, 10 years LEO, then 20 more fire/EMS. Ive seen a lot, but regarding handguns...bullet type makes little relative difference.

I have personal preferences based on experience and am more than happy to share.

Reactions: Sparky_911

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
My old duty ammo was Winchester 127 gr 9mm. Used to be called Black Talon, but that's racist. Used to be a black coating, now it's gold.

We went to 147 gr for awhile, but started to have stovepiping during shoot and move and one handed exercises. Reduced powder and poor handgun technique to blame. Went to the 127 gr and have had no issues.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Pick a personal defense cartridge for carry, periodically fire a batch for familiarity but practice with cheaper FMJ/ball ammo in the same weight/velocity as your personal defense round.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

LineSpotter

Nov 6, 2013
AmericanSouthwest
Also, a big shout-out for Federals Syntech line of practice ammunition.
9mm is available in 115/124/150 grain to match your carry load.

Its a polymer jacketed (powder coated) lead ball round and is outstandingly clean which is my favorite aspect. The jacket also reduces barrel wear if you do shoot a lot, as well as cuts down on splash back if you shoot plates.

Great stuff!

BLUELIGHT

Jul 7, 2018
Hendersonville NC

One of the major issues the FBI was concerned with was penetration out the back of the suspect, with potential injury to bystanders, thus the preferred limit on penetration.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.