Amp Draw

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I did the math(hopefully correct) and found that just one light(alley) drew 3.48 AMPS with my Multi Meter testing for current. I then added all the lights together at 3.48 amps x 15 lights total for about a 55 Amp draw if the bar was full on. This is a Vista with 5 rotators, takedowns, alley left/right, sweeps, rear and front flashers. I'm just trying to verify that I am right, or in the ballpark to how many amps these things use while full on. So am I in the ballpark? This is the first time I found out how to test current in a circuit and testing a light bar so I'm not real confident in my findings. It seems like a lot of amp draw.

Da-Sarge

Feb 27, 2020
Canada
55A sounds about rite for a bar equipped with 55W bulbs with 35W allys and takedowns and 35W sweeps plus motor drives what bulb types are used? Some bars run H1 halogens 3.6A @ 12v on 55w bulbs the bayonet based bulbs whelen and federalsignal often use are usually 35W but some are 55W

Take a look at the bulbs and run the amp measurements on a single rotator if possible if you have a meter with an amp clamp turn on the full bar and do some measurements that should be your best option

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Sounds about right. Rule of thumb is 5-10amp per rotor, 3-5amp per TD/ALLEY for halogen bars.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
If the vehicle is running it's 13.8 not 12.

Reactions: Sparky_911
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
The federal signal website should have manual with specifications on it for that bar. Did you pick a Vista over the Value Bar?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helmi

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.