amplified Motorola Minitor charger question

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
If I lose power to a Motorola Minitor III/IV amplified charger, will the pager itself still alert? Also, will it still be able to rely on the amplified charger's antenna or it's internal antenna?

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
grfd711 said:
If I lose power to a Motorola Minitor III/IV amplified charger, will the pager itself still alert? Also, will it still be able to rely on the amplified charger's antenna or it's internal antenna?

Yes, your pager will still alert if the charger isn't on.

If you open up the amp charger, you can trace the wiring from the external antenna input right to pins touching the back of the pager... so in theory, if the amp charger isn't working due to a power failure or whatever, than the pager will still use the ext. antenna for reception... I'm 99% positive... (Gotta leave an out incase I missed something) :cool:

Seth

DFD382

May 25, 2010
SOUTH CAROLINA
Not to steel your post...But does any 1 have a problem with the amp charger ? I hate mine seems like it doesn't charge my pager all the way and I have to play with it to charge right. The amp and pager are brand new (6 months old)

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
DFD382 said:
Not to steel your post...But does any 1 have a problem with the amp charger ? I hate mine seems like it doesn't charge my pager all the way and I have to play with it to charge right. The amp and pager are brand new (6 months old)

Sometimes mine is finicky... Sometimes for no reason the alert light will come on... Just have to make sure it's seating right in the housing. If it's still not charging all the way... might try a new battery...

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
C17LVFD said:
Yes, your pager will still alert if the charger isn't on.

If you open up the amp charger, you can trace the wiring from the external antenna input right to pins touching the back of the pager... so in theory, if the amp charger isn't working due to a power failure or whatever, than the pager will still use the ext. antenna for reception... I'm 99% positive... (Gotta leave an out incase I missed something) :cool:

Seth

I agree with your theory.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
The pager will still alert, but I'm not positive if the internal speaker on the pager itself will sound, since the pins will still be connected from the charger... usually when the pager is put in the amplified charger in my experience, the internal speaker is disabled... Best way to find out would be to unplug the amplified charger and either get a test tone or cycle the power off and on for the pager to see if it sounds. If not, you may want to look into getting something like a battery backup like you'd use for a computer to keep it powered for a while. I imagine one would probably stay powered for quite a while on battery backup since they don't draw a lot of power on standby. '

Just my .02

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
WhiteLite03 said:
The pager will still alert, but I'm not positive if the internal speaker on the pager itself will sound, since the pins will still be connected from the charger... usually when the pager is put in the amplified charger in my experience, the internal speaker is disabled... Best way to find out would be to unplug the amplified charger and either get a test tone or cycle the power off and on for the pager to see if it sounds. If not, you may want to look into getting something like a battery backup like you'd use for a computer to keep it powered for a while. I imagine one would probably stay powered for quite a while on battery backup since they don't draw a lot of power on standby. '

Just my .02

At my old house, we'd lose power all the time, hence why I know that the pager will alert without the power on, and why I also know you'll get the vocals out of the pagers speaker if the amp. charger doesn't have power. Really it's a redundancy feature. Can't having firefighters and EMS personnel missing calls because the minitor is muted if the powers out... I can see the lawsuits now...

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
...and sometimes these pagers come with plastic covering the batteries terminals and even though you can manage to break through the plastic with the charger, it makes it hard to get it charging if you forget to remove the plastic.. :lol:

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
If the pager is in the amp, the pagers speaker still is used when a transmission is recieved, found this out when I left my pager up all the way and the amp down all the way :p As far as getting alerts, it should, due to the reason stated above :D

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
mjMIff said:
...and sometimes these pagers come with plastic covering the batteries terminals and even though you can manage to break through the plastic with the charger, it makes it hard to get it charging if you forget to remove the plastic.. :lol:
The OP is talking about a Minitor III or Minitor IV, which use AAA batteries. Only the Minitor V comes with a batter pack which has plastic over the contacts.

jm505

Nov 22, 2010
usa, elmont, ny
DFD382 said:

I got the same thing with my pager, make sure you dont drop the pager into charger, you may damage the pins. Place the radio pager into charger, make sure the pins are in line with unit. There are times when the pins do not line up correctly, just remove pager from the charger and then replace it. Should line up and work ok.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.