AMR Whelen Edge 9000

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have a 9M version of this bar, which was essentially an edge with two inboard strobes, a center 7x3 halogen, 7x3 halogens on the ends (both tied to the ambulance flasher) and an alley light position warning light on a flasher of its own.

9M

Screenshot_20230428-171459.png
Screenshot_20230428-164419.pngScreenshot_20230428-171513.png

9000 version is what I am aiming to build next
amredgehelix.jpgScreenshot_20230428-170324.pngScreenshot_20230428-172835.png

Screenshot_20230428-163834.pngScreenshot_20230428-171537.png

I'm building the 9000 version and some noticeable differences are; center and end light are twin sidebeam dual halogens instead of 700s, the dual strobes were a the single reflector slide in twist lock style, and the alley lights were not always present. Anyone happen to have one before I build it?

Last edited:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The build is complete, I have to edit the video. I might dig the 9M version out too. I have all the halogens hooked to an external flasher so their sequence is really whatever I want. I did not include an internal flasher for the alley flashers, I have seen these bars set up with the alley flashers on the primary ambulance flasher and also sometimes with their own flasher (like my 9M version). I also made the clear and red strobes switchable separately by pair instead of all on or all off. Again, another variation that sometimes popped up causing a back and forth vs. center out pattern.

PXL_20230501_201314016.jpgPXL_20230501_201317324.jpgPXL_20230501_203007156.jpgPXL_20230501_203020830.jpgPXL_20230502_022755827.jpgPXL_20230502_022843501.jpgPXL_20230502_022845413.jpgPXL_20230502_022950870.jpgPXL_20230502_022910971.jpg

PXL_20230502_032053124.MP.jpgPXL_20230502_032059167.MP.jpgPXL_20230502_032054938.MP.jpg

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
I saw this post a few days too late! I just dug out my Edge 9000 AMR bar this past weekend so I can rehab it. Mine specifically is off an old AMR NYC bus that SeniorCare EMS bought, and that I worked on for a couple years, until the bus was decommissioned, and I convinced the company to sell the bar to me. It was the only pre-911 bus I've ever worked on to date! For mine, both the dual front halogens and the alley lights were run off the box flasher, and the white strobes alternate with the red strobes. I need to reinstall the alleys (they were removed for an unknown reason), and I'm just going to run the flashers with an internal flasher for easier display.
IMG_3857.JPG

Reactions: stansdds
May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
I so want to make a 60” version of one of these with a 60” frame i have.

Only issue is i would need to find all the internals and stuff. For now the frames and edge parts i have are becoming dust collectors

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I am editing the video now. They are interesting bars. The video will go into the "why" too.

Reactions: lotsofbars

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I agree. Interesting setup. But also effective at the same point.

The interest for me is they almost alway appear on vans that have duplicate 9x7 primary/secondary lights directly under the bars. These would be useful on the leader coach West Coast style trucks with no front primary lights, but they flash in sequence with the larger lights below them. I go into this a bit in the video. Still editing.

Reactions: firebuff17

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
Yes.
The AMR rigs all around me had the same 9x7 pri/sec lights beneath the bar, which was in sync to the bar….. or is the bar synced to the box lights?!?!
On most vehicles, especially ambulance box lights, they don’t impress me and I don’t spend much time ogling at them…. But if they have a nicely set up lightbar, I would spend time to check that out, then take that into the whole picture as for full effectiveness.
That being said, I do agree with you that the way the bar is set up, it would be sufficient to be by itself up too in front.
Looking forward to the video.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Essentially the bar is equipped to be placed on a vehicle lacking the front triple K primary secondary lights and keep said vehicle in compliance. The leader coach trucks used mostly in the west lack these front lights, but also lack the requirement to have them. The places that require triple k compliance usually have vehicles that have spots for these lights so you ended up with "a hat on a hat" so to speak. The idea was that if they got into an area that required triple k light setup but only had "west coast" trucks available, these bars made the trucks compliant. That didn't happen a lot, but since the bars worked fine on top of trucks with the front triple k lights it was not really an issue. Better to be "double within spec" that not at all. Currently dubbing audio and rendering the videos. One longer one explaining the reasoning and one shorter one is showing the bars.

DanCoco

Jul 13, 2018
NYS
I so want to make a 60” version of one of these with a 60” frame i have.

Only issue is i would need to find all the internals and stuff. For now the frames and edge parts i have are becoming dust collectors
I have an edge 9000 that i bought used but never installed. It's been taking up shelf space. I think i had bought another strobe power supply for it at one point, and i do have a full box of new lenses and spacers too.

If you're interested, i could dig it out and see what internals it has and what works. Let me know, i'd love to reclaim the shelf space.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Nice informative video, John! I especially like how you wired in the 900 flashers with it to get the true AMR vanbulance effect. Cool piece of lighting history!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Nice informative video, John! I especially like how you wired in the 900 flashers with it to get the true AMR vanbulance effect. Cool piece of lighting history!

I had a guy from AMR posted a comment (which he deleted for some reason) saying the side flashers were NEVER on the ambulance flasher and were on a loud clicking flasher. I know sometimes the side flashers (especially in the 9M) were on an edge flasher, but edge flashers don't click and obviously sometimes they were on the ambulance flasher since there is video of it (it is not just my semi-old-guy memory). The clicking flasher was likely a headlight flasher, which happened to get deleted from a lot of vans at the same time (bulb failure probably). Correlation isn't causation.

The "red only strobe" option was also debated because that is not a standard AMR setup. It is rare enough I shouldn't have put it in the video, so rare it might have been a build error or field/shop mod. Most of them are wired like the 9M (all strobes or none). But again, the strobes that flashed "back and forth vs. in and out" strobe patterns had them on seperate wires, with additive switching. At least at the bar level they were enabled not disabled via adding a wire. I'm not saying it was common to make use of that, but the red strobes were occasionally wired in with something else, just like the white strobes were sometimes in with primary (how often I have no idea). The most common was clearly the strobes being their own thing as a set of four.

The truck setups varied a lot from truck to truck even though they were "standard". I can confirm from 15+ years of ordering ambulances that three consecutive build number trucks from any manufacturer can be a little different. I had a pair delivered once where they followed the specs differently and partially on each. We ordered the white rotators/sweeps to be on a separate switch, and the red rotators to be in with primary only. The idea was you could kill the white "moving lights" and there was no need fo a separate "red lightbar" switch. Put the truck in primary and you can run code with the option to kill the most distracting white lights with the other switch. The trucks showed up with one having the white rotators on primary red on separate switch and the other had all rotators on the separate switch. I changed it, but would AMR?

I also think the variety of grill, intersection, and rear options on the vans muddies the waters a bit. Some had a pair of rear strobes, most had halogen/strobe (later LED) combos for grill/intersections. The rear strobes could be found on secondary sometimes, and separated out other times. I am never going to cover all the switching options nor should I have mentioned them. It really opens up the comments to "but on the one I ran on" type stuff.

I think my point about the bars being fairly constant such that they caused redundancy of warning lights was clear, but it seems to have been taken as a coverall statement about the whole setup of all AMR trucks. I really just wanted to show that one seemingly odd version of the edge could be paired with any of the many truck setups and meet any of the various requirements.

tldr; - The bars had triple K lights and were used in applications where that was both necessary and some where it was redundant. While the trucks varied their setups, the bars varied less. The strobe switching and side flasher were the only real differences despite a long list of truck related differences that really don't attempt to cover.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.