Anatomy and Restore of a 184 Power Light.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Thanks to Ex416, I found this FSS 184 Power Light Series A2, 6 volt. At first you might say "and ?". Until this time, I don't think anyone had ever heard of or seen a Series A2 184. We did not know it existed. Before this we though the 184 started off with Series A3. They were asking way to much for it, although, for a collectors point of view, it is important. The price dropped twice and then I made an offer and they accepted so I now have the light.

I was very curious as to how it would compare to the A3 and later lights so when it arrived I jumped right in and disassembled it. Other than being 6 volts I only see three notable differences from the A3. The Axel is smooth where the light holders mount, where in the A3 it is crosshatched. The tag is not embossed but stamped, which I haven't seen any Federal tags just stamped. It has four mounting bolts around the base which I suspect is for mounting to a plate and post.

Maybe someone else might notice a difference. I will post the process below for disassembly and show the components.

Last edited:
Reactions: ex416 and dmathieu

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
This is how the light arrived. It did have a fairly new Dietz dome and the retaining band.

DSC_0044 (Small).jpeg DSC_0045 (Small).jpeg

Removed the bulb holders. The base is chromed brass and the top has a lot of chrome missing,likely from a dragging bulb holder.

DSC_0049 (Small).jpeg

Plate separated from base.

DSC_0051 (Small).jpeg

Removed door from gear box. Very clean inside and in great shape. Looks almost new.

DSC_0055 (Small).jpeg

Removed gear box with motor attached. Thrust bearing is still on end of shaft.

DSC_0056 (Small).jpeg

Gear box showing motor and slot where thrust bearing sits.

DSC_0058 (Small).jpeg

Top of plate showing conductive plate with the spacer and brass bearing removed.

DSC_0059 (Small).jpeg

Bottom of plate showing the alignment flange and positive wire for the conductive plate.

DSC_0060 (Small).jpeg

Conductive plate removed. You cans see the top alignment flange with the non-conductive insulator between it and the conductive plate.

DSC_0061 (Small).jpeg

Last edited:

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Interesting update on this A2 Series 184. Another one has been discovered and it is 12V. It was originally thought that perhaps the A2 designation was for the early 6v, but apparently that is not the case. The A2 12v is identical to the 6v. The only differences between the A2 and A3 is the cross hatched axle and the tag (stamped vs embossed). Seems minor items for a series designation change. It does continue to raise the question of did an 184 A1 exist?

Tranfan 1980 contacted me through Youtube about his 184 A2.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Seems to me there was a Signal Stat rebadged Federal 184 Series A1 on eBay last year. I was not willing to spend the money for it, I think it was priced too high. After finding a Series A1 Model 14, I have no doubt that there was a Series A1 Model 184. I'm guessing the Series A1 versions were only available for the first year or two before design changes brought about the Series A2. Plenty of Model 14 Series A2's out there, not as many Model 184 Series A2's, but it seems that Series A1's are very few and far between

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Federal's Series changed quickly until all of the bugs were worked out. FB-1 Serial 1/2A10, 1/2B10, 1/2A12 all happened from August 1956 into 1957. The changes were numerous. Serial 1/2A12 stayed the same for 16 years, from 1957-1973, with no substantial engineering changes.

Reactions: stansdds

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.