Another 8000 question?

cowboyflyer

Mar 24, 2013
Southeast Arkansas
My brother was showing off my light bar to a friend. He by accident hooked it up in reverse order!
Now the strobes do not work!
My question is...Is it toast! I don't see any fuses on the bar. There is some type of reset switch on the bottom.
Does not do anything. Is it repairable?

cowboyflyer

Mar 24, 2013
Southeast Arkansas
Nolines: That's a big 10-4! He does feel bad about it...

Dmathieu: That was your baby! I got it from you way back some time.
Just dawned on me. Been away from this site a few years.
Thanks for your help.

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
I could _try_ to repair it if you'd like. I can't promise success but I feel these power supplies are worth the effort. PM me if interested.

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
Some observasions based on some of the stuff I have in front of me, if it helps:

See the picture attached.

On the left is an 8000 power supply and on the right, a 5200 beacon power supply for comparison.
They should be close enough to illustrate a key difference.

The one on the left is "newer" and has a form of reverse polarity protection built in.
If you're lucky, your power supply is like this one.

On the right is an "older" design that had no such protection. If you're not so lucky, your power supply is like this one and the reverse-polarity damage could be extensive.

At some point Whelen added this protection in to this design. It's in the form of a big fat diode that would only allow current to flow in reverse. If this happened, the current would be sufficient to blow a "little fuse" while under normal running conditions, current flow would be under the little fuse's rating.

As you can see, I ran into this problem with one of the 8000 power supplies I got...as a "hack", I soldered in a single strand of wire. While I managed to get some 15AMP little fuses, I'm pretty sure the original was a 10AMP and I haven't got a hold of them yet so I just left the hack in place.

Note: the "newer" design has four integrated-circuits while the "older" has only one ("AE1-219"). There might be other variations along the way so keep an eye out for that!

Attachments

• 8000obs.jpg
    8000obs.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 28

cowboyflyer

Mar 24, 2013
Southeast Arkansas
Dmathieu, I purchased something from you maybe some RBeams...
I think maybe the 8000 came from John D. I don't think he is with us anymore. It's been a long time!

RS485, I will PM you! Thanks for your help. I will check tomorrow to see which power supple I have.

S. Lee

cowboyflyer

Mar 24, 2013
Southeast Arkansas
My old emails just popped up! Not been on the site in 5 years!
My 8000 came from JohnMarcson! (thank you)
just trying to get it right.

Thank all you guys for jumping in and helping with this matter!

Reactions: Tony P

RS485

Supporting Donor
Aug 5, 2019
Central MA
AWESOME! BTW that little switch on the underbelly of the lightbar is a low-power switch. its is momentary switch and if you press it, you should hear a "click" (relay latching) and the lightbar should go into low-power mode.
Turn the lightbar completely off to reset it.

Reactions: Tony P

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.