Another Nice EBay Grab - UPDATED

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
I won this model 17 on Ebay last week. Got it for a BIN price of $40 with $15 shipping. It ended up costing the seller $25 to ship it. It looked a little rough, but I was pleasantly surprised how well the base cleaned up. The tag says mode 173, but that is not right. The real win? The dome is GLASS!!! I will post cleaned-up picks later.

br.jpg

UPDATED

Here's the cleaned up photo with a new base gasket and a correct badge

DSC01443.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
Marvin said:
He should have just gone with a flatrate box.

The problem is that the flat rate boxes are only certain sizes and none of them would fit a Beacon Ray.

Lyle

Oct 28, 2012
Maine
The eBay seller must not have taken the "dimensional weight" into consideration. No harm to the Buyer, for sure. EXTRA nice score with a glass dome!

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
Lyle said:
The eBay seller must not have taken the "dimensional weight" into consideration. No harm to the Buyer, for sure. EXTRA nice score with a glass dome!

If any of you are in to fire memorabilia, he is selling some great stuff on Ebay. I am also thinking about getting a tet grenade from him.

dmg17donald | eBay

Lyle

Oct 28, 2012
Maine
jradue said:
If any of you are in to fire memorabilia, he is selling some great stuff on Ebay. I am also thinking about getting a tet grenade from him.

dmg17donald | eBay

x2 on that. I looked at his "Completed Listings"; a lot more that could be had.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That's a good buy! The glass dome alone is worth at least $40. Yours looks like a large diameter dome, so for the model 17 that would be 1968 or later production.

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
stansdds said:
That's a good buy! The glass dome alone is worth at least $40. Yours looks like a large diameter dome, so for the model 17 that would be 1968 or later production.

Wow, if I could get glass domes for $40, I would buy them all. I have been averaging about $75 - $100 for nice ones. This one is really pretty nice, but is has a chip in the lip which obviously you can't see. I will post some picks of the cleaned up light tonight.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
jradue said:
Wow, if I could get glass domes for $40, I would buy them all. I have been averaging about $75 - $100 for nice ones. This one is really pretty nice, but is has a chip in the lip which obviously you can't see. I will post some picks of the cleaned up light tonight.

That's unusual...a good glass dome on an older 17. Good job, there. The one good deal I got was not on Ebay. A small fire equipment store was selling out of all their emergency equipment, and I got a new blue glass dome for a jr. for $5.00!

What I need is a medium base and a blue dome for a 174. As I've mentioned on other threads, I have a 174 that was packaged in a very old short skirt and small red plastic dome for a 17; and it is labeled "Darley Champion". I have a 174D on my '68 Olds ambulance, and I'd like to put the other 174 on it, too: putting both beacons on the front corners and my C5G in the middle. Some day....maybe.

Good job!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
Skip Goulet said:
That's usual...a good glass dome on an older 17. Good job, there. The one good deal I got was not on Ebay. A small fire equipment store was selling out of all their emergency equipment, and I got a new blue glass dome for a jr. for $5.00!

What I need is a medium base and a blue dome for a 174. As I've mentioned on other threads, I have a 174 that was packaged in a very old short skirt and small red plastic dome for a 17; and it is labeled "Darley Champion". I have a 174D on my '68 Olds ambulance, and I'd like to put the other 174 on it, too: putting both beacons on the front corners and my C5G in the middle. Some day....maybe.

Good job!!!

Are you looking for a glass blue dome, or just any?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
jradue said:
Are you looking for a glass blue dome, or just any?

I would prefer glass, since the red 174 has a glass dome; but I'd take a plastic one, too. And I need a medium skirt. The extra 174 is the one with the short-oldstyle skirt. I have a blue dome of the smaller style like the very old 17s used.

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
Skip Goulet said:
I would prefer glass, since the red 174 has a glass dome; but I'd take a plastic one, too. And I need a medium skirt. The extra 174 is the one with the short-oldstyle skirt. I have a blue dome of the smaller style like the very old 17s used.

A blue glass one will be a hard find. I will keep my eye out for ya Skip ...

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
jradue said:

dmg17donald | eBay

Very nice!!! I never see great deals like that on ebay. Either the BIN price is high, or bidding raises the price too high for me. Regarding teh tet greanade...I see them on CL once in a while. I thought that the contents are very hazardous. I'm surprised people are allowed to ship them.

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
Tristar said:
Very nice!!! I never see great deals like that on ebay. Either the BIN price is high, or bidding raises the price too high for me. Regarding teh tet greanade...I see them on CL once in a while. I thought that the contents are very hazardous. I'm surprised people are allowed to ship them.

Yeah, I am not sure about shipping. I think you can ship limited quantities of hazardous material. The tet grenade contain carbon tetrachloride. It is a wonderful cleaning agent that was used widely decades ago. It does however cause liver and nerve damage if people are overexposed to it.

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Marvin said:
He should have just gone with a flatrate box.

Those flat rate boxes are getting thinner and thinner each time I get some. I no longer use them for anything breakable. It is worth the extra money to pack and ship an item so that it arrives undamaged. Flat Rate is nothing more than a profit maker for the carrier.

If glass or fragile plastic isn't double boxed with plenty of cushion material , it is only luck that makes it survive the trip. The new conveyors used by the shippers to move packages are operating at much higher speeds than they used to, and the boxes take multiple tumbles down loading chutes, colliding with other packages. Damage is more likely than ever on fragile items like this Beacon Ray.

jradue

Mar 6, 2013
Lone Rock, WI
MESDA6 said:
Those flat rate boxes are getting thinner and thinner each time I get some. I no longer use them for anything breakable. It is worth the extra money to pack and ship an item so that it arrives undamaged. Flat Rate is nothing more than a profit maker for the carrier.

If glass or fragile plastic isn't double boxed with plenty of cushion material , it is only luck that makes it survive the trip. The new conveyors used by the shippers to move packages are operating at much higher speeds than they used to, and the boxes take multiple tumbles down loading chutes, colliding with other packages. Damage is more likely than ever on fragile items like this Beacon Ray.

I agree entirely. Also, ship via Priority Mail when possible and mark as fragile. The USPS doesn't handle parcels carefully. Ironically the light above was shipped rather loosely in a box via parcel post. It arrived in good condition with the glass dome unbroken. The sender did mark FRAGILE on the box. That may have helped.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
MESDA6 said:

I now the feeling! Several years ago I bought four FullVue lights from an ambulance supply co. in KS. They came in with all the domes badly broken; but thankfully it was all insured. Not too long ago a nice CJ84 came in with the dome broken, but everything else was o.k. I've had worse luck with the P.O. than I have with UPS; but both have gotten very sloppy in package handling of late.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Having items damaged by UPS, USPS,... does have its benefits. A few years ago I was in a small town in MO on business, and I stopped in at a local antiques mall. I asked the owner if he had any FD, EMS, or police items, and he said he had shipped a rotating light with a glass dome to someone that purchased it on ebay, but that the buyer refused the shipment as he heard broken glass rattling in the box. The owner of the shop had just gotten the box back earlier that day, so we opened it together. To my delight the light was a Federal 175 hill light (in very good condition), with a clear glass dome. The only broken glass was one of the bulbs. The owner was fed up with the ebay sale gone bad, and he sold the light to me for $75. The only downside was going through security at two different airports with the light packed in an overnight bag!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Tristar said:
Having items damaged by UPS, USPS,... does have its benefits. A few years ago I was in a small town in MO on business, and I stopped in at a local antiques mall. I asked the owner if he had any FD, EMS, or police items, and he said he had shipped a rotating light with a glass dome to someone that purchased it on ebay, but that the buyer refused the shipment as he heard broken glass rattling in the box. The owner of the shop had just gotten the box back earlier that day, so we opened it together. To my delight the light was a Federal 175 hill light (in very good condition), with a clear glass dome. The only broken glass was one of the bulbs. The owner was fed up with the ebay sale gone bad, and he sold the light to me for $75. The only downside was going through security at two different airports with the light packed in an overnight bag!

Several years ago I had sold my '67 Pontiac ambulance to a then-Navy doctor who lived in SC. He did a total restoration on the car and repainted it, with the Navy's permission, to look like an old Navy ambulance, complete with the stenciled signs on the doors. I also sold him a nice NOS 175D that I had gotten along with a set of Superior bullet lights. Later he contacted me wanting an outside mount siren, and I sold him a nice 66L. Downside was that I under-insured the siren, and it was "lost in the mail", never to be found. So I lost my a** on that one! I was very careful after that to make sure whatever I sent was over-insured.

You think that getting past airport security was something? In 2001 I went out to Southern California for a weeklong meet put on my the then-SoCal chapter of PCS (now Professional Cars Internat'l). On the Friday of the meet, B&M Siren owner Kevin O'Connell put on an afternoon-long "emergency warning devices" symposium....all about the history of B&M and what they had built over the years. But did I get a surprise at the end of his presentation. Many years ago when the original owner of the co., Dick Miles, was still running things, I had sent in an S8B Siro-Drift siren for repairs. That siren eventually disappeared from the plant, and for a good long while, no one could make contact with Miles. I was then informed that Dick had died and that the place was shut down and no one knew what was where. But thanks to the late John Dorgan, I found out that B&M was alive and well with Kevin running things. When I first spoke to Kevin I told him that I was still looking for the siren I had sent in way back in the early '80s. I described the siren to him, as it had previously been worked on by a co. in Dallas that did B&M work, and they had painted the rotor with copper spray paint. Kevin said that he thought he had seen it. That was in '98 and he started the search. Long story shortened, he couldn't find it. Much to my surprise in 2001 at his symposium, he presented me with a refurbished and newly chromed B&M CS8B siren to replace the lost S8B. I almost fainted! Now that was in July of 2001, just two months before 9/11, so I had no problem getting the siren, which was tucked inside my duffel bag, on to the plane. But was that thing heavy! Once we landed at DFW, I had to go from one terminal to another, a very long walk. So I commandeered a vacant wheel chair and sat the duffel in it and pushed that heavy thing to the terminal to catch my flight back here. If it had been two months later, I'd never gotten that siren on a plane.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.