Another Save. Repairing a Beacon Ray Motor

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I don't think this actually qualifies as a Tip and Trick video, as I don't explain it as much as I show it. Member ChargerLighting sent me a motor to repair. This one was worse than Tony P's mars motor for those who might remember that one. This one shows that any motor has the potential of being repaired. Funny though, I have had a couple that looked great and well taken care of that just could not be fixed. If those wires are damaged in any way, it's over. But if they are good, all can be good.

This is what I had to work with.

20161210_180426 (Medium).jpg

20161210_180433 (Medium).jpg

I did a video as I went along in case it was successful. I had (as always) camera trouble mid way. For some reason my camera's hate doing video. But that helped speed the video along.

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Outstanding as always! I'm thinking the members here should get together and pay to insure your hands with Lloyds of London! I have some more motors to send you after the Holidays simmer down.

Reactions: Skulldigger

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Not ALL motors can be repaired.....LOL wink wink

No, not at all. Like I said in the post above. I have had some that looked great, but would not run for nothing. Then I get one like this and it's saved. it all comes down to those tiny little wires and their micro coatings. If the motor was overheated and those melted, there is no hope at all. But I have surprised myself several times. I also notice that the newer motors tend to burn up quicker than the older motors do or did. The Fats, type I, II and III from Federal seem to be the most salvageable. Those little motors in the newer signal stats, 7-40's and such tend to all be burnt up when I open them up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.