Antennas on the 2015+ Tahoe PPV

Mar 25, 2014
TX
The 2015+ Tahoes have a raised ridge right down the middle of the roof. Which makes mounting a low profile UHF antenna damn near impossible for OCD people like me, who can't stand things being off center. So, I turn to yall for ideas!

ai.imgur.com_qc31Qwg.jpg

This car is my new POV and DD, and we're trying to keep it as inconspicuous as possible. I didn't mind a single Phantom on the roof, but it doesn't look like it'll fit on the middle of that rail. My installer suggested a Larsen puck-style UHF antenna painted silver, mounted up front where it's flat...and that's an improvement, but I feel like it would stick out like a sore thumb on that flat surface.
ai.imgur.com_guIaTjy.jpg

There are factory replacement antennas out there, but they're almost $500 and would lose on-star, which I use.

I was thinking about either:
  1. Mounting a 1/4 wave whip behind the rear D-Pillar (plastic cover), but I'm not sure if that would be any better than a bumper mount.
  2. Mounting a Laird Phantom Elite on a L bracket facing inward, over the plastic piece on by the windshield wipers (below), but my installer has concerns about the ground plane.
ai.imgur.com_OPNqfj2.jpg

Any other ideas, fellas? Or what do you think about my other proposed ideas?

Chris W

Mar 27, 2014
NJ
I thought the rib on those was wide enough for the nmo mount to fit, but I could be wrong. If not mount between the first and second ribs and add a second one on the opposite side for symmetry even if it is not used.

Mar 25, 2014
TX
I thought the rib on those was wide enough for the nmo mount to fit, but I could be wrong. If not mount between the first and second ribs and add a second one on the opposite side for symmetry even if it is not used.

Just double checked - the rib is not wide enough to fit a NMO mount. And the space between the ribs would only leave a few mm of space on each side for a 4.5" puck.

What do y'all think about that Laird Phantom Elite mounted up front, like in the picture I posted?

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Nothing wrong with it being off center! Or.. you can install 2 antennas up there and space them out equally. But regardless, it's not so bad.. really!
apics.onsizzle.com_the_train_doesnt_stop_at_your_station_does_it_5252024.png

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
If the second "dummy" ant isn't at least a wave length apart.... your going to have a bad time.....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.