Any airport police?

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
I'm finally getting to the point that I'm thinking of applying at other departments, getting bored with my little town (and the pay isn't what I want). I saw that an airport in the area is hiring Airport Safety Officers, and was wondering if any of you guys have experience in that. They are a division of the local Police Department, and are all sworn officers who must be certified. They also do the firefighting and medical at the airport, so it's like a "jack of all trades" kinda deal. They work 24 hour shifts, which interests me.

Is there anything you guys can tell me about a job like that? I'm used to patrolling in my own car in a town all day so this would be new for me.

TNFF412N

May 22, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
We just vistied the Nashville Airport, and they are set up that way as well. they work 8 hr shifts, one day you are a fire fighter, th next you are police. The fire side only staffs a handful to man the trucks, and whn a call goes out several of the police officers go as well, They have a very good system going. very well equiped, with an EOD team,hazmat,SWAT, K9 , and investigors as well. ALL were at least first responders, Most were EMTs and a Paramedic... Nice outfit they had going

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
There are two kinds of airports: international and domestic. That makes a big difference.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
It's domestic, as far as I know. What's weird is it's a fairly large airport (for Iowa, anyway), and it's domestic. But the dinky town I work in has a grass landing strip with a rusted out barn on it, and it's the "(Town Name) International Airport".

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
Ben, I gotta be honest with you. If you are getting bored being a small town cop, you probably won't be any more excited being an airport cop. I have seen the police at Baltimore/Washington International Airport, a fairly large airport, and they all look bored outta their minds. They are either out front in the loading zone arguing with the clowns that want to park in the no parking zone, or are wandering back and forth inside with nothing really to do.

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
mcpd2025 said:
Ben, I gotta be honest with you. If you are getting bored being a small town cop, you probably won't be any more excited being an airport cop. I have seen the police at Baltimore/Washington International Airport, a fairly large airport, and they all look bored outta their minds. They are either out front in the loading zone arguing with the clowns that want to park in the no parking zone, or are wandering back and forth inside with nothing really to do.

I was thinking the same think even before I saw your post.

You think you're bored now, just wait until you're stuck in a little Midwestern airport all day much less 24 hours. i would think that would put you into a comma. :lol:

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
Ben,

I arranged our tour with Captain Thomas Quarles (Thomas_Quarles@nashvilleintl.com) and the Nashville International Airport is only one of seven airport police departments to be CALEA (Nationally Police Dept. Accredited) accredited, but the role is generally like safety and security, since they want to be viewed as serving visitors and promoting tourism. Some things are distinctive! They are their own separately commissioned police department. There are many VIPs flying in and out of the General Aviation ramps and hangars of the airport, and the Tennessee Air National Guard uses the runways, but the National Guard has separate security and maintained support services and hangars.

Briley Nashville Airport (BNA) has bicycle patrol officers, but a volunteer group also rides horseback riding trails and reports on the condition of perimeter fences. We witnessed a very physically fit bunch of officers and fire/rescue personnel. There is an Oshkosh Crash Truck simulator specifically available for routine training.

As to an "international" airport, that designation is supposed to mean that the airport can process "International" flights. U.S. Customs duties may be collected and declarations can be made and immigration (ICE) agents are available to check passports and visas of international visitors and passengers.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
If you think working at an airport, university or hospital PD would be boring, it's mainly because they WANT you to think it's boring. The administrators in those facilities have a vested interest in not making the news. It's still policing, just in a different venue.

The main weirdness in working an airport of any size is that you'd be alongside a number of other LE agencies with differing jurisdictions and missions, so you have other kids playing in your sandbox.

AdaFire38

May 16, 2010
Lowell, MI
I used to work at our airport (not as LEO, but they would come hang out at our hanger - Aero Med - )... the police there had a HUGE revolving door policy. 80% of the officers there were just fresh out of school waiting to find other jobs but not wanting their certification to lapse. They all said the same thing... BORING!

http://www.grr.org/index.php

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
There's airport police, and then there's airport police. Once, when travelling through Germany, I got to talking with an officer there. The Federal Police at Frankfurt Airport has some 2000 officers, with 5 police stations inside the airport area. :shock: (Admittedly, Frankfurt Airport is huge. It's one of the biggest in Europe, with hundreds of flight every day.)

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
RJ* said:
There's airport police, and then there's airport police. Once, when travelling through Germany, I got to talking with an officer there. The Federal Police at Frankfurt Airport has some 2000 officers, with 5 police stations inside the airport area. :shock: (Admittedly, Frankfurt Airport is huge. It's one of the biggest in Europe, with hundreds of flight every day.)

I landed in frankfurt a week ago actually, and yes, i can attest to that fact. It is extremely big. I am home now though...

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
If your bored go for a city police department. :lol: And after that you'll be wishing you had your own "private" car again to patrol in. haha

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
UndercoverVLS said:
If your bored go for a city police department. :lol: And after that you'll be wishing you had your own "private" car again to patrol in. haha

I'm already on a "city" department. And we share cars...

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
cbpdogboy said:
Why don't you apply to U.S.Customs and Border Protection or I.C.E. ? Do you have a degree?

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/cont ... a/3513.xml

I applied with CBP years ago and turned down a conditional offer :evil:

It would be a fun job, but I've already established myself near home (bought a house, have a family), so having to move is very low on my priority list.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
Ben E. said:
I applied with CBP years ago and turned down a conditional offer :evil:

It would be a fun job, but I've already established myself near home (bought a house, have a family), so having to move is very low on my priority list.

That was just a $100k a year job there with the best job stability you will ever find, except the Military...no big deal... :p :cool:

Mike L.

May 21, 2010
Everett, WA
Im not exactly "airport police" but our Boeing facility is part of an airport and we have our own flight line so I'll tell you how we do things. First and foremost the FAA rules the roost. You will protect the active runway / taxiareas at all times. With the exception of learning some FAA rules and jargon and getting comfortable driving around moving aircraft its really no different than a normal police dept.

The uniqueness and fun comes from seeing all the cool aircraft. If you like airplanes, it is a dream job. Depending on the airport you might get to see military and dignatary aircraft as well. I pretty much only get to see Boeing aircraft but we do occasionally get some unique aircraft on our flight line. I can remember during one Seafair, that there were a squadron of FA-18's stationed at Paine Field. They did this to provide security for their carrier which was open to the public. Any way I was at the hold short line watching their takeoffs and landings and when they were done for the day they taxied next to me and all 7 of them gave me a thumbs up :D . Not too many people get to go through that and was definately one of the highlights of my career.

One other aspect of airport police is you might have to be trained as a ARFF. I know the police down at King County Int'l (aka Boeing Field) do both jobs. You haven't really lived until you've done a traffic stop on a 777 though :D .

If you have the opertunity to join airport police, I would recommend it.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
cbpdogboy said:
That was just a $100k a year job there with the best job stability you will ever find, except the Military...no big deal... :p :cool:

That was 7 years ago. Plus they told me the pay was about 40g's, which is comparable to a job here. And I didn't have to move to Shithole, Texas to do it.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Take this as you may.

I am currently assigned to an international airport. Not an overly busy one, but we do tend to get a little of everything time to time (such as a B-52 yesterday, and NASA F15's last week).

Its not a bad gig, if your comfortable with writing parking/traffic tickets and dealing with unhappy people all day...doing security bag checks and dealing with the smurfs (errr TSA).

Most who are at the troop have had at least 10 years on. We will never be given anyone fresh out of the academy. We do have a reputation of being the "retirement home" but you make it as you make it.

You do get to see neat stuff, meet/greet some actors and famous people but its not an everyday or every month kind of deal. Its slow, your walking around all day (unless you have the ramp or perimeter patrol) and your confined to the airport grounds.

Each airport is different. LAX, your pretty much either an airport cop of LAPD cop. John Wayne I believe has the ASO's. Port Authority in NJ/NY is the same...plus you can move around as openings come around.

If you really want to have a change of scenery, put into for a special agent position with UP/BNSF out your way. Essentially nationwide police powers and you get to move around (nevermind a sweet retirement system).

If your young and want adventure, skip the airport thing unless its a REALLY large airport. You'll be more bored than ever (as I am...but it also has its perks).

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
cbpdogboy said:
You start at around $40k or a little less. Within 4 years you mke $90-100k...I know...I make it now...

There's still that "moving to Shithole, Texas" thing...

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
When I applied, and now (have friends applying), the only options on places to go are along the SW border. So basically Shithole Texas, or Shithole Arizona.

I'd take the job in a heartbeat if I didn't have a family established here. I'm not gonna move my kid all around the US.

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Are they attaching any commitment on it? Few guys say the Canadian border is nice...and then the guys at the airports have it pretty easy.

Getting back to some of the airport jobs, there is always the TSA (not the usual bag checkers, but the Inspectors, BAO's, etc that usually require LEO experience). Still a non-firearm carrying position, but they make $50-$80k a year.

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
I work at the Canadian Border with U.S. Customs and Border Protection. If you want to hire on with Border Patrol, they are also in our Department, then you will have to work at the Southern Border first. If you want to work at the actual port of entry, the position is for officer, not agent. I am a K-9 Officer for the past 8 years. I have been averaging 90-100k for the past 4 years...

This is the most job security you can have with out joining the military. I was in the military as well. The military time can also be bought back to go towards this retirement, so no time wasted...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.