Any idea what these are/were

So, I finally managed to get into my City's scrapyard/vehicle storage area.

Found both of these in/on an old FD Tanker.

Both are General Electric, according to the logos.

Obviously a lightbar

P1000998.jpg

Have no real clue what this is, my gut tells me radio, but it was wired up to the lightbar. It had been cut, but the wires matched.

P1000999.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wonders never cease....using an old G.E. control head to run the lightbar. But that's not too unusual. I got an old Unitrol siren from a friend who had used an older G.E. control head to run the siren. The siren was originally setup for a motorcycle. The G.E. head he used had three or four positions for channels which he rigged up for wail, yelp, etc. Worked pretty well.

The lightbar appears to be either an old S&W or a TwinSonic.

Hmm...when I looked at the LB it had General Electric logos on it, I'm going to talk with my Asst Chief again soon and seeing if I can grab it and figure out what it to do with it.

It also has a big speaker in the centre

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
SomeBloke said:
Hmm...when I looked at the LB it had General Electric logos on it, I'm going to talk with my Asst Chief again soon and seeing if I can grab it and figure out what it to do with it.

Definitely a Smith & Wesson. The logo looks similar to GE so I can see how you would get confused.

awww.great_lakes.org_Logos_Smith_Wesson_BLUE.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
SomeBloke said:

Well, the control head is definitely G.E., not doubt there, but the only G.E. logos I would associate with the bar would be the sealed-beam bulbs. Most of the older ones were G.E.

hyperjohnny

Nov 1, 2010
WI USA
A Smith & Wesson Model 8881, I believe. The sealed beam holders on each end were for the alley lights, the motor on the end was for one of 4 rotators, canted at an angle with the forward rotator in the front corners of the bar to make room for the alley which was toward the rear as this one is. You can see what's left of the 4X6 sealed beam front/rear flashers which were against the speaker housing. I personally don't feel this one's salvageable... sometimes you have to say "when". Was this thing in a fire at some point? Holy completely ruined batman! Truck and all!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.