Any input on lighting packages on my new Interceptor Utilities?

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
I've got 3 Ford Interceptor Utilities on the way, and we're trying to outfit them as best as possible, with some considerations of course. Surprisingly, budget isn't really one of them, we can spend what we need to on safety equipment.

The cars will be slick tops, SOS is the lighting supplier, and every light is dual color (Either R/W or B/W). General urban/rural Law Enforcement with a busy interstate. The cars are black with a Setina wrap-around push bar and tinted windows, and I'll have control over flash patterns.

Current package includes the following:

Front: nForce interior light bar, single LED spotlight (Strobes on code), standard HLF, 2 forward-facing mpower lights incorporated in the push bar, and 2 mpower lights vertically mounted at a 45* angle on the side of the pushbar.

Side: Aforementioned 45* pushbar lights, under-mirror intersector lights, running board lights below the doors, and 2 mpower lights on the inside top edge of the 3rd window.

Rear: nForce interior traffic controller mounted to the headliner, 2 mpower lights mounted on the edge of the license plate, and whatever TLF the upfitter comes up with.

I feel confident in the front and side setups, I really don't have anything to add there. But the rear concerns me, especially with the tinted rear window. I feel like better lighting to the rear would be a valuable addition. I like the newer rear spoiler mounted lights, but I need some advice on the cleanest solution offered for that? Or some opinions/advice in general to improve the cars. Trying to be effective without going overboard with lights mounted all over the car like you see on whackers.

Thanks!

Last edited:

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
I appreciate the honesty, seriously. But considering the cars won't have overhead bars, I honestly don't think I'm at that point, in fact don't even think I'm really that close. After watching hundreds of videos online, and comparing my cars to others in my area, I am mid-pack if not a bit lower. Most have the same overall setup, but with a full overhead bar instead of the interior bars. Trying to look at this objectively, but I really don't see this setup being over the top. I am skipping fog lights, skipping the headlight HAW's and ion's, skipping the mirror mounted lights, skipping fender lights, and not doing any more than your average car in the rear (Bar and 2 lightheads).

That being said, I am still worried about the nForce directional bar in the back, for some reason I'm just not feeling that. I am considering ditching that and the license plate lights in favor of this plus a simple TLF. I'm not sure if the mpower lights mounted to this can do directional arrows though. It'd be significantly cheaper, and in my opinion more effective.

Ford-Utility-4-Inch-Spoiler-Bracket-Application.jpg

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The under-mirror intersector lights, running board lights and license plate lights are a classic example of just because you can doesn't mean you should, their placement does nothing to enhance the effectiveness of the vehicle's warning signal.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
I'm not a fan of the license plate lights, I'll put that right out there. Was just worried the tint would really kill the directional bar. That's why I'd ditch the license plate lights if I went with the setup pictured. I'm starting to like the picture above, if those 8 heads can be wired as directional, combined with a simple TLF. That'd put the rear where I'd like it to be.

However, one area in which the slick-top gives up serious points to a modern overhead bar is in side warning. If I cut the mirror and running board, it'd leave me with 2, arguably only 1, side firing light source, and that one is in the far rear window.

I'm torn here, I see your point, but have always been bothered by how little side lighting and alley lighting slick tops throw off.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I've got 3 Ford Interceptor Utilities on the way, and we're trying to outfit them as best as possible, with some considerations of course. Surprisingly, budget isn't really one of them, we can spend what we need to on safety equipment.

The cars will be slick tops, SOS is the lighting supplier, and every light is dual color (Either R/W or B/W). General urban/rural Law Enforcement with a busy interstate. The cars are black with a Setina wrap-around push bar and tinted windows, and I'll have control over flash patterns.

Current package includes the following:

Front: nForce interior light bar, single LED spotlight (Strobes on code), standard HLF, 2 forward-facing mpower lights incorporated in the push bar, and 2 mpower lights vertically mounted at a 45* angle on the side of the pushbar.

Side: Aforementioned 45* pushbar lights, under-mirror intersector lights, running board lights below the doors, and 2 mpower lights on the inside top edge of the 3rd window.

Rear: nForce interior traffic controller mounted to the headliner, 2 mpower lights mounted on the edge of the license plate, and whatever TLF the upfitter comes up with.

I feel confident in the front and side setups, I really don't have anything to add there. But the rear concerns me, especially with the tinted rear window. I feel like better lighting to the rear would be a valuable addition. I like the newer rear spoiler mounted lights, but I need some advice on the cleanest solution offered for that? Or some opinions/advice in general to improve the cars. Trying to be effective without going overboard with lights mounted all over the car like you see on whackers.

Thanks!

I would add a dual dash light for mid level warning (in between the ILB & grill lights).

I think lights in the 3rd/side window look silly up top and would mount them to the bottom of the window

For the rear, I’d mount the M-power to the spoiler bracket and hook them up to an external glasher

I’d make sure to have the intersection lightheads for the NGPI utility headlights.

I’d add an nforce lighstick on the lower pushbar that flashes red/blue with clear override

I think it’s a waste to have the Unity/A-post light flash while responding b/c I almost never see them pointing forward in the direction you’d want them to flash and it’s unnecessary IMO

Recess a pair of ghosts on the bottom of the tailgate so that you have rear warning when trunk is open

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Why are you using mPowers if budget isn't really a concern?

As a full time police officer, fleet manager, and part time installer I would stay away from the nLine running board lights or any running board lights. They are the first things to get wrecked driving over anything. Spend that money else where.

Changes I'd make:
-2x dual color nForce single light heads on the front of the pushbars (larger footprint then mPowers)
-2x flush mount dual color Intersetors for the sides of the pushbars (100x better off axis and larger foot print then vertical mounted mPowers)
-2x dual color nForce dual dash light for rear side windows (mPowers SUCK through tint)
-rear spoiler bracket for 8x dual color mPowers (amber TA only)
-2x dual color mPowers horizontal on LP bracket (white with reverse only)
-2x (one red, one blue) LED HAWs mounted in tail lights

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.