Anybody with info on this Scanner?

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
I have found an old Scanner. Looks like maybe Early to mid 80's? I could be wrong buy looking for some info on this. Any one have any info.

ai108.photobucket.com_albums_n14_ffjwhite_DSC00429.jpg

ai108.photobucket.com_albums_n14_ffjwhite_DSC00430.jpg

ai108.photobucket.com_albums_n14_ffjwhite_DSC00428.jpg

ai108.photobucket.com_albums_n14_ffjwhite_DSC00427.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It will use crystals....

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
idk, it says programmable on it. It has a slot about the size of a credit card. So I am just wondering how they would program this.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I think this was made by Regency. I also believe it is a crystal scanner. Programable probably meant that each crystal spot had a wire and a number of pins assosiated with that crystal spot, that would make that spot acceptable to high, low, or ultra high crystals. That way you could group frequencies by town, rather than by band. Hope this doesn't sound too confusing. IMO.

Dan

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
It's a Regency, or SBE binary programable scanner. It was called an "edge" or "optiscan" It used cards that you punched a hole, or pencil in to set the frequencies. You could make different cards to scan different areas. Regency also had one called a Whammo 10, that used plastic combs, that you broke off teeth to program frequencies in. Bearcat had the model 101, that had 16 switches, that you would put up or down to program in frequencies, based on a book of frequencies. If you had a frequency that was not in the book, you had to use an equation to figure out which switches to switch up, or down.

Clarence

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
I can remember seeing those in Sears stores before I moved to LA, so early to mid 70's. they did use a cars that was punched to program the frequency for each of the 16 channels. I believe you programed one at a time..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.