Anyone see the NOS ADL NYPD spec aero on ebay?

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
Saw this on ebay and was wondering what the story was on it. Its basically NYPD spec but in the newer ADL independent version. I don't know much about the later independent aero stuff so I thought Id see what everyone knows in general or might know about this bar in particular?

Attachments

• nypd1.jpg
    nypd1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 62
  • nypd2.jpg
    nypd2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 70
  • nypd3.jpg
    nypd3.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 65

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
As far as I know, NYPD never used ADL Aerodynics. I know FDNY did, but they were an all-light version. I'm guessing that this bar was purchased with this specific spec independently. Another good indicator for NYPD bars is that the wiring is on the passenger side instead of the driver's side.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The bar is a true Aerodynic. Aerodynics typically have stationary halogen bulbs with rotating parabolic reflectors.

An NYPD bar looks more like an AeroTwinSonic. A typical AeroTwinSonic has rotating dual sealed beam lights at both ends.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Not a genuine NYPD bar, for all intents and purposes an updated clone, and not even due to the red end panels.

Remember the last vehicle model year for the NYPD Aerotwin was 1990.

In 1991 the Premium Vision debuted for sedans but SUVs, vans etc received first Jetstreams, followed by Vistas, all-light Streethawks, ultimately halogen then SLR Premium Visions.

Reactions: Jesse J Volanti

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
Is the center speaker section painted white or is that a protective plastic cover over a chrome speaker?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
AD bar.. not ADL

AD had the speaker aka Model 24 the ADL was an all light.. model 25

@348 the white is a cover protecting the stainless speaker grille.

with what this went for.. it might be time for me to start selling my Aerodynic stash and retire early.. lol

Reactions: jph2 and Tony P

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Doesn't the lot control number on the box indicate the date built? I read it as the 210th (or maybe 218th) day of 1995.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Doesn't the lot control number on the box indicate the date built? I read it as the 210th (or maybe 218th) day of 1995.

Interesting..
obviously the 48 is midlength I see this as an AD4800
a 52 bar would be AD5200.. etc.

deelony

May 23, 2010
LINY
Something is telling me that well be seeing this bar back on ebay for alot more than the $1000 paid.

...correct

Reactions: Tony P

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
I can not see how an independent rotator AeroDynic can be worth $1000.

But it seems that anything goes nowadays on eBay.

There are alot of junk offered for big money and as long as someone buys it......

Michael

Reactions: Tony P
Jun 18, 2013
PA
@cmb56 I hear ya.. the only thing worth noting is that the AD series bars are pretty rare, I've seen 2 or 3 in the wild and I have 1 in my collection. ADL bars on the other hand are not rare and I see them all over.

Still not worth 1K though

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I seem to recall Henrico County (Virginia) Fire Department had AD Aerodynics on some of their apparatus in the 1990's. AD Aerodynics are fairly rare items, far more common are the ADL Aerodynics.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Found a decent AD4800 red blue amber Aerodynic about 3 years ago near San Diego. Endlamps, alleys, 4 rotators, no blue front steady burn, though. Inside was pretty clear, domes needed a lot of work but came out great. Price was decent. Not what we are seeing lately.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.