Arrow 530 Beacon straight from the 'hood

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
Picked this up from a guy on Craigslist. This was the blue beacon mounted on the Unity Unirack in Philly.

I actually got the whole thing for $20. The rack is not too bad, needs cleaning and polishing and shows its age but is unique enough. I took the Arrow 530 off the rack and gave it a light cleaning and added a brand new dome from

diggerdug.517.

I am probably going to mount my Unity RV26 with blue spitfire on the rack and go from there. Thats a future project.

I had an interesting time getting the beacon in Philly. It was not in the best 'hood as the pic here shows. The guy lived off Roosevelt Blvd. As I commented on his Suburban he was working on, be proceeded to tell me that he just got it back--his wife had recently been carjacked in it and the PD found it after it had its electronics stripped and engine blown. Great neighborhood.

The guy was real cool nonetheless and was none too happy himself to be living where he was for fear of, as he said, gettin killed for any reason just walkin up the street, and just in general, it is the 'hood!

Read the sign on the building... Maybe this is normal, but I ain't a big city boy.

[Broken External Image]:http://inlinethumb30.webshots.com/7453/2475194420103563214S600x600Q85.jpg

Anyway, here is the beacon. Runs great and is MINT inside. Don't often see Arrow stuff.

[Broken External Image]:http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/45739/2125611940103563214S600x600Q85.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/46855/2013198870103563214S600x600Q85.jpg

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Interesting story alongside the picking-up of a new piece for your collection. Too bad that fellow can't move out of that area of danger... At least he got somebody to take that Uni-Rack and give it a good home :) .

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Arrow made very good lights.

This one went out of production for nearly 15 years ago.

Unfortunately all of Arrow's sealed beam warning lights was cancelled last year when Arrow got new owners.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Not many manufacturers making sealed beam beacons these days and I don't think there are any sealed beam lightbars in production.

Sealed beam beacons still in production that I can think of:

Grote

Federal Signal

Peterson

And a Chinese knock-off of the Federal 14

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
stansdds said:
Not many manufacturers making sealed beam beacons these days and I don't think there are any sealed beam lightbars in production.

Sealed beam beacons still in production that I can think of:

Grote

Federal Signal

Peterson

And a Chinese knock-off of the Federal 14

There's also North American Signal, Star/SVP, Tri-Lite/Mars, and Edwards Signaling.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
CrownVic97 said:
There's also North American Signal, Star/SVP, Tri-Lite/Mars, and Edwards Signaling.

I was just about to add North American.... they still do lots of sealed beam stuff.

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
The nice feature of the Arrow beacon is the thumb screw that holds down the bulb clamp. A few turns and you can change the bulbs with no tools unlike many other manufacturers setups.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
motorolamaniac said:
gee, who'd a guessed.

A body was found in the trunk of a car not far from where I got the light that next day.
Yikes!

I've been in Philly once and on the outskirts a second time. Not my kind of town.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I slept in Philly only one time and the cab driver told me to stick to the hotel. I don't know where I was but it surely was some kind of bad 'hood... :|

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.