Arrow 531 Vs. 551 beacon... anyone?

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
I recently acquired an Arrow 551 4 sealed-beam beacon and immediately noted the orientation of the sealed beams to be "non-horizontal" (two 15-degree upward, two 15-degree downward). None of the 4, level w/ the horizon. I did some research to determine the beacon's origins and an old Oshkosh truck w/ a snowblower affixed got mentioned as a possible source... the previous owner was just cleaning-out the "back room", if you will... maybe an airport application?

I guess to verify its legitimacy, who has some old "Arrow" literature to verify the model # designations and/or has anyone seen another like this? I can't say I have. I've had a few 531's roll across my workbench over the years but the 551 doesn't ring any bells... Neat old light, nonetheless!

What say the masses?

Last edited:

Mars Light

Jun 23, 2011
Leipzig, Germany
The 531 is a standard 4-sealed beacon.
In some case the top fixing cross was rotated by 90 degrees. This caused a hill-light look a like but its not original.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
To what I can recall there was a name change when Arrow changed to cheaper motors.
530 become 550 and 531 become 551.
530/550 = 2 sealed beams (7400)
531/551 = 4 sealed beams (7400)

Michael

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
I never opened it up but I can see what you're describing. Makes perfect sense. Someone had it apart once upon a time and didn't pay attention to what they were doing! I'll have to make a correction. I had never seen the 551 model # so I thought maybe it was a unique designation. Simple fix!

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
I never opened it up but I can see what you're describing. Makes perfect sense. Someone had it apart once upon a time and didn't pay attention to what they were doing! I'll have to make a correction. I had never seen the 551 model # so I thought maybe it was a unique designation. Simple fix!
I had the same thing awhile back. Thought I had a real rare one. Then I realized someone never installed the top bracket properly causing the bulbs to tilt.

Reactions: 894 and dmathieu

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.