Atlanta I85 bridge collapse and ARFF?

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
So, I was naturally distracted by watching the live coverage of this last night:
astatic.lakana.com_media.fox5atlanta.com_photo_2017_03_30_I_85_disaster_0_2981241_ver1.0.jpg
(This image is linked to picture posted by Fox5 Atlanta. I don't know how long the link will last.)

Obviously, big fire. Tough to access fire. Too much fire, not enough water (no fault of AFD, how do you get the big guns under a bridge like that?).

More interesting to me was the use of ATL crash trucks. I did some training with CFD Bat. 8 (airport Battalion) one time. He said it was possible to request ARFF for off-field incidents...but it would take approval from a government level. The FAA requires a certain number of ARFF units be available for a given passenger volume through an airport. So, if they pulled ARFF from the field, that means they would have to reduce passenger volume?
astatic.lakana.com_media.fox5atlanta.com_photo_2017_03_30_aeri124010f842f344c21ea1a32be2992832.png

Can anyone else share some insight? Do we have any people in GA that may have some insider info? I'd love to hear the dispatch/size up of that call.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.