Aurelius FD Heavy Rescue

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Way way too fast and split fail with the Clear/Red lightheads, I really love the rear but still fast. Looks to be a light refurb, nice.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Nice looking rig. The r/c 600s up front are unnecessary, and I'm not a fan of the split 700s. The rest of the lighting looks great though.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
Nice looking rig, interesting choice of colors with the black over yellow, but a department near me recently got a black over orange engine so can't say to much. Definitely have to say that all patterns need to be slowed down especially the light heads on the bumper, I'd also take out the lights from the grill just seem excessive.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Wow, they did a nice refurb on that. From the exterior, it could probably pass for 5-10 years old to the untrained eye.

Hands down, I think that saulsbury is still to this day one of the best apparatus manufacturers out there (too bad they're gone)!!! Dependable, rugged, well-built, and you see so many of them out there still running as first due rigs. I did my paramedic school ridetimes with a department that has a big budget (new loaded Braun international chassis ambos, all new e-one engines and aerials, and some of the most modern, beautiful stations u will ever see), but they have not replaced their 2 saulsbury rigs yet (which are the first due engines at their busiest stations), b/c they still run well and most of the engineers and officers prefer them over the newer e-ones they have.

I went to fire school with a handful of Aurelius guys and their older apparatus was truly hideous with the solid NYC taxi yellow, but this setup (mixed with black) doesn't look too too bad. As for my 2 cents on the lighting package:

-- I don't like the split red/clear on the sides...Stick with solid red and solid flash

--Sync everything on the sides. I'm a big fan/proponent of effective syncing of either medium-speed or slow flash patterns for the sides & rear, but (even though it's too fast for some people's taste) I also really like FDNY's sync where everything rapidly flashes solid (simultaneously) on the sides

--Need to add a solid red 700 to the top corners of the rear wheel...the lower rear zone of the sides looks too empty for my preference

--Need to upgrade the old turn signals to LED's: A) it looks out of place with all the LEDs and B) it's a dead give away to the rig being nearly 20 years old. (Luckily, it looks like they're already in the process of upgrading them, so hopefully they do a nice job with that)

--the responders look a little tiny (due to their small footprint) and I don't like the clear lenses, thus I would have gone with a solid amber responder on the drivers side and a solid red responder on the passenger side (both with colored lenses) and have the whole unit flash at once to give it a big foot print that a heavy rescue shouts for & deserve

--get rid of the R/C grill lights; u don't need them and they're configured like junk. I would love to see an LED roto-ray or a mars light centered, but those are very rare on that part of central NY, so I'm not surprised that there isn't one there

--I personally like the rear and wouldn't change it, except maybe swapping amber for the lower red modules

Overall, It's a really nice lighting package and an impressive refurb, so I think the only thing that leaves to be desired on the exterior is changing the flash patterns and getting rid of split patterns. Too bad there's not an inside peek in the vid, though. Anyone know who did the refurb work? There are a handful I decent places up there to do that work, so hopefully they didn't send it down to Ocala FL for that

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
ok, here are my thoughts on the lighting:

front:

lose the slpit 600s all together.

have a "park-kill" to disable the HLF and the rest of the forward facing white while in park

side:

i dont HATE the split heads on the front intersection. Sometimes i like the contrast of two different colors flashing, nosing out into an intersection. I would've prob just specd them solid red, but i dont HATE them.

The sync with the 900s look great, and im glad theyre not flashing split like i see on nearly everything else. It needs something lower rear, BADLY. a 600 over the rear wheel would fix that easily. (like the ones from the grill) You could sync them with all of the other lower light heads, and they would look good together, being that they would all be R/W splits. It wouldn't be too terrible IF they were synced properly.

rear:

the responders are useless. I would rather see a split TIR6 T/A instead of the responders. (or two mini freedoms).

The rear sync, colors, and patterns are great.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
vonirkinshtine said:
Screw the lighting, I want to see the compartment layout!

theres a time and a place. this is neither. lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.