AWL RX-44 Warning bar

invisble ink

Jun 17, 2010
Old Bridge, NJ
Today, I will be reviewing the Advanced Warning Lights RX-44 Warning Bar. I purchased the light to provide rear warning on my new car since the old one I had did not fit the new car (the disadvantage of going from a truck to a car). The model that I purchased from AWL is amber and after seeing it in action I plan on purchasing the RX-46 model to accompany this one on my rear deck. The RX-44 model is the 4 module model with each module consisting of 4 TIR style LEDs. The bar measures 22" long by 1" high by 2.5" deep so it fit perfectly on my rear deck. Construction seems pretty sturdy comparing nicely to the larger name brands.

After purchasing the light it arrived in a very timely manner about 3 days and the packaging all looked good. The packing was typical with foam blocks protecting the bar itself and the smaller parts (mounting brackets, suction cups, and screws) all being together in a small plastic zip-lock style baggie. Attaching of the mounting brackets was very easy, which entailed simply unscrewing two small screws holding the endcaps on and attaching the mounting brackets using the same screws. The bar also has a bolt slot on the back of the unit to flush mount the bar or use "L" brackets to mount it. The only issue that I found with the mounting of the bar was that only 2 suction cups were included and the screws that hold them onto the brackets did not hold causing the bar to fall onto the rear deck within a day.

Power wise the unit had an attached cigarette lighter plug with a pattern control button and a on/off switch. The unit does have 30 flash patterns including a random pattern. The RX-44 is also able to synced with other units via a audio style wire like those used on the end headphones. The wires allow you to "daisy chain" units together due to the cigarette plugs having 2 sync outputs on them. Wiring to a switch box seems to be pretty simple also, simply cut the cigarette plugs off and hard wiring them. The larger 6 and 8 head versions also seem to be able to do traffic control patterns by hard wiring it units. Maybe Tom can clarify if all the units can. The only gripe I have with the wiring side is that instructions on hard wiring the unit are not included but instructions for all AWL units are available by emailing AWL.

So now for the fun stuff...pics and video.

Video:

Ratings: (based on scale of 0-10)

Constuction: 9 (IMHO well built unit)

Ease of Installation: 8 (had to subtract cause of the suction cup issue and lack of instructions)

Light Output: 9 (super bright)

Price: 10 (come on 99 bucks)

Purchase: 10 (easy to purchase and quick delivery)

Overall: 9.2

My overall opinion of the RX-44 from AWL is that nice unit and I believe that if they units have the traffic advisor patterns that they will be a very economical alternative to the higher priced counterparts. i.e. Whelen, FedSig, etc.

2012-09-14_13-58-51_194.jpg

2012-09-14_13-59-00_232.jpg

2012-09-14_14-04-48_486.jpg

2012-09-14_14-04-57_52.jpg

2012-09-14_13-59-11_839.jpg

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Very nice write-up, and I'm glad you are satisfied with the AWL RX-44!

To clarify, the larger RX-46 and RX-66 models do have both traffic advisor and warning patterns. The RX series warning bars are definitely one of the top-value solutions for rear deck warning.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Could you elaborate more about the ability to sync the units? Also a photo of the plug you refer to. Thanks!

invisble ink

Jun 17, 2010
Old Bridge, NJ
Well I'm now where tech savvy with this stuff but it seems that the wire connects two cigarette plugs together via two small ports on the cigarette plug. It appears that the wire connects a sync wire in the wire harness allowing two lights to sync if they are on the same pattern. Unfortunately I lost the cable itself maybe Tom can supply us with a pic of the sync wire. If I can find it I'll post a pic of it.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
foxtrot5 said:
Could you elaborate more about the ability to sync the units? Also a photo of the plug you refer to. Thanks!

Every RX bar comes with an attached cigar plug. On those plugs are two ports that you can use to connect two RX bars together with the supplied sync cord. If you are hardwiring the unit, you can cut the cigar plugs off and there will be sync wires running the length of the cable that you can connect together.

Also worth noting, the AWL Venom Interior Lightbar comes with the same wiring harness so you can sync a Venom and RX bar if you would like. I saw where a customer had a Venom in the top windshield and RX-46 on the front push bumper. He sync'd both units and it looked awesome!

REDDPSE

May 21, 2010
Central Ohio
Tom, i would love to see a video of the venom and rx bar synced together.

ramkam

Apr 11, 2012
maryland
I believe I am the customer Tom is talking about and will be uploading the video shortly. Really works and looks great.

Silent

May 26, 2010
US, GA
invisble ink said:
The only issue that I found with the mounting of the bar was that only 2 suction cups were included and the screws that hold them onto the brackets did not hold causing the bar to fall onto the rear deck within a day. .

I just got mine and had the same issue. What did you end up doing to fix the problem? Kinda makes it difficult to mount when those screws wont work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.