Beacon Ray Jr. Question

10-75_Da_Box

Jan 28, 2011
Wappingers Falls
Came across this on eBay. Was wondering if it’s a decent price? I really don’t know much about these as I’m just starting off collecting.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Came across this on eBay. Was wondering if it’s a decent price? I really don’t know much about these as I’m just starting off collecting.

This one is not complete as it appears to be a magnet mount version and is missing the magnets and power cord with cigar plug. It also appears to have an incorrect bulb in it. While the glass dome is a plus, I would not spend the price listed for it. Attached are the two I have in my collection, both are mag mount with all hardware attached. Both have glass domes, and I did not spend that price on either one. That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you really like that beacon and want one in you're collection, they are neat old beacons, but they are not "rare" . These lights come available from time to time. Again the glass intact dome is a plus for it, so you be the judge of it's worth to you.
Chris

Attachments

• IMG00027-20100506-1633.jpg
    IMG00027-20100506-1633.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 11

10-75_Da_Box

Jan 28, 2011
Wappingers Falls
This one is not complete as it appears to be a magnet mount version and is missing the magnets and power cord with cigar plug. It also appears to have an incorrect bulb in it. While the glass dome is a plus, I would not spend the price listed for it. Attached are the two I have in my collection, both are mag mount with all hardware attached. Both have glass domes, and I did not spend that price on either one. That said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you really like that beacon and want one in you're collection, they are neat old beacons, but they are not "rare" . These lights come available from time to time. Again the glass intact dome is a plus for it, so you be the judge of it's worth to you.
Chris

Chris,

Thanks for you reply. The missing magnets don't really bother me, it would sit on a shelf. The glass dome is what caught my eye. As I'm starting off with collecting I'm not sure what some of these items are worth, and I know some of the prices on ebay are a little high. I'll watch it for a little while and see if the price comes down. In you opinion what are lights like these worth in good condition?

Jun 18, 2013
PA
So the glass dome is where the value is on this light. Currently the light is @ $225. I don't think that price is unreasonable. From a collectors standpoint one can nitpick the beacon itself, but you have an amber glass dome, which can probably be sold by itself on the market for $225.

Not to knock the rest of the beacon as you can restore the beacon to its original state with some effort.

TLDR.. dome is worth the asking price.

Reactions: 10-75_Da_Box

10-75_Da_Box

Jan 28, 2011
Wappingers Falls
So the glass dome is where the value is on this light. Currently the light is @ $225. I don't think that price is unreasonable. From a collectors standpoint one can nitpick the beacon itself, but you have an amber glass dome, which can probably be sold by itself on the market for $225.

Not to knock the rest of the beacon as you can restore the beacon to its original state with some effort.

TLDR.. dome is worth the asking price.
Rob,

Thanks for the input. I want it and I figured the glass dome would be worth it. Like I mentioned before, I really don’t know what these are worth and wanted to ask those that have a little more experience with this stuff. Big time fan of your YouTube channel.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Chris,

Thanks for you reply. The missing magnets don't really bother me, it would sit on a shelf. The glass dome is what caught my eye. As I'm starting off with collecting I'm not sure what some of these items are worth, and I know some of the prices on ebay are a little high. I'll watch it for a little while and see if the price comes down. In you opinion what are lights like these worth in good condition?
First, congrats on beginning to collect vintage lights. This hobby becomes an obsession as time moves forward. The things I pointed out were things I noticed from the ad. When looking at a piece that you want add to the collection, one must be critical of said item and it's flaws as well as benefits. This helps us judge what we are willing to spend on the piece, plus whatever restoration items are needed to return it to original condition or as close as possible. All parts, bulbs, etc are in finite quantities, as these items are no longer made. As stated earlier, the glass dome does hold significant value, however you must ask yourself how much are you willing to spend on any one piece for the collection. For me, the light in question, as is, would be worth about $150 ($100ish for the dome and $50 for the base). I know I'm going to have to replace the bulb, possibly the base and dome gaskets. Next would be to replace the missing magnets and Safeco power cord with cigar plug. Everyone has different opinions about what value to assess. For me, my collection pieces I want to be original or as close as I can possibly get them back to. Again, this drives up the $$$ I have in them. When beginning, not every piece will be perfect out of the gate, but as you move forward you will want collection/display pieces to look their best. Remember, just because a seller thinks their item is valued at their asking price, doesn't mean that's accurate. Look around, shop some different sights and always ask for help. This board is a great source for help and pricing. Good luck and welcome to the collecting community!

Chris

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I don't disagree with @Lt.214 assessment either. might be worth contacting the seller and making an offer if you really want it.

Never hurts to ask.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
A good way to start your collecition is to buy what you like and can afford, without over paying. As you find one in better shape, sell the original at your paid price, or hopefully more, and make a few bucks to fund the new one. Do this right, and this hobby won't cost you a thing. Over the years, (many), I have constantly upgraded my pieces, honed and focused my collection into something that I'm pretty happy with. These guys posting above have great advice, and are Tops in this hobby. The most important thing is ENJOY!!

10-75_Da_Box

Jan 28, 2011
Wappingers Falls
Thanks for all the input guys, I really do appreciate it.

I did pull the trigger on the light, I had been eyeing it the past couple of days. The glass dome is what attracted me to it. I did message the seller, he was pretty firm with the asking price. The listing had about 8 watchers and I figured if I don't do it now then I'd probably miss out. There was another Jr that I saw that was listed for 200 plus 26 shipping that was in much rougher shape and appeared t have a plastic dome.

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
Thanks for all the input guys, I really do appreciate it.

I did pull the trigger on the light, I had been eyeing it the past couple of days. The glass dome is what attracted me to it. I did message the seller, he was pretty firm with the asking price. The listing had about 8 watchers and I figured if I don't do it now then I'd probably miss out. There was another Jr that I saw that was listed for 200 plus 26 shipping that was in much rougher shape and appeared t have a plastic dome.
Congrats on you're new addition. Please update us and post pics when it arrives.

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
For future reference, ebays advanced search gives you the ability to view items that actually sold, and if you like, items that didn’t sell. You can use it to search for Jr Beacon Ray for instance and see all the past listings and whether they sold and if so for how much. The only caution is that some of the sales are ultimately not completed, but they show up as “sold” anyway. Happy shopping, and welcome to the obsession!

Reactions: Tony P

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.