Beacon Ray Jr -- updated, videos added

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
It's not terribly unusual or anything. But I have had my eyes on this one for a long time.

Tell me what you think. After a mild cleaning with soap and water, glass cleaner and an SOS pad on the chrome. Had to hook it up, and walla! She works just fine.

I have never really restored something like this, but i really want to make it like new. After sitting for years under a layer of dirt and bird shit, i think she deserves it. Don't you?

BobJr beacon Ray.jpg

OK, i got it cleaned up and polished, oiled and everything:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then of course i had to put it on my truck:

And here it is compared to Whelen Talon and Feniex T-3's

Bob

Last edited:

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
It is made sometime between 1976 and 1978 due to the newer name tag with the address Blue Island, that came after Federal's name change in December 1975 and the move to University Park in 1978.

I do not see what bulb you have inside but it look to be too small to be the right one.

The right bulb should be 60 Watt with a large glass globe.
I do not remember the bulb's number at the moment.

If it is a normal 50 CP, 1195 bulb, it is about 40 Watt.
It will be much more powerfull with the right bulb, if it is equipped with the wrong one.

Michael

Last edited:

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
i think it does have the correct bulb. You can't see it in this picture, but it is a big honking globe that barely fits inside the lens cage.

it's bright

the globe is actually plastic not glass.

i've got to study the various posts here to learn the best ways to clean and restore the dome and the chrome base

thanks for the information. Keep it coming!
Bob

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Last edited:
Reactions: StEaLtH2

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Thanks.
You are right, I remember it wrong.
I have lights that was build in 1981 and are marked Blue Island.

To my excuse, I am at my work and could not check it when I wrote it.

So, in any case, the light it is made between 1976 and 1982.

Michael

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
She's a keeper. Great that you've had an eye on this and then it turned out to be yours. I'd bet a coat of wax would make that dome even purdy err than she is now. Wish I had one of these up on the shelf

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
The JR beacon is one of my favorites also. As a kid in Hinsdale Illinois - we had a PW guy who was also on the FD. His village green Suburban had an Amber Model 14 on the roof. He had a Clear JR beacon he used to respond to fire calls with a flip up mount off the dash Not sure why he did not use a blue lens. Most guys ran FB1s.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The JR beacon is one of my favorites also. As a kid in Hinsdale Illinois - we had a PW guy who was also on the FD. His village green Suburban had an Amber Model 14 on the roof. He had a Clear JR beacon he used to respond to fire calls with a flip up mount off the dash Not sure why he did not use a blue lens. Most guys ran FB1s.

I'd love pics of that!!

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
It's not terribly unusual or anything. But I have had my eyes on this one for a long time.

Tell me what you think. After a mild cleaning with soap and water, glass cleaner and an SOS pad on the chrome. Had to hook it up, and walla! She works just fine.

I have never really restored something like this, but i really want to make it like new. After sitting for years under a layer of dirt and bird shit, i think she deserves it. Don't you?

BobView attachment 207262

OK, i got it cleaned up and polished, oiled and everything:

Then of course i had to put it on my truck:

And here it is compared to Whelen Talon and Feniex T-3's

Bob

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.