Beacon Ray Model 17 - testing problem

gpd132

May 24, 2010
Gulfport, MS
I got the beacon cleaned up a bit and followed some tips from my previous post on testing it. I tried using my jumper cables and running the positive to a wire from the top screw as seen in the picture and clamping the negative to the round chasis. When I did this the black wire got really hot. Next I tried the positive jumper clamped directly to the "L" bracket where the top screw sits. I got lots of smoke immediately. So either I am doing something wrong, or there is a problem somewhere. I'm thinking this could be a case of "operator error". Can someone send me in the right direction?

Here is a pic and description:

[Broken External Image]:http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad126/gpd132/Beacon Ray Mod 17/IMG_18112.jpg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Positive lead to the screw contact, negative lead to the chassis.

fyrboy

May 24, 2010
NC
Positive connection can be made at terminal where you see wires, or at bare terminal above the wires. Ground will occur through metal mounting hardware being in contact with metal mounting surface.

gpd132

May 24, 2010
Gulfport, MS
ok, any suggestions for testing purposes? I want to use my car battery. Do I just set the entire thing on the car fender or hood as a ground and run the hot wire to the pos on my battery?

Also, anyone got pics of the inners where the gears are? I took the entire thing apart for cleaning. I'm pretty sure the order of things but a good pic would make me feel a bit better.

Thanks again

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
gpd132 said:
ok, any suggestions for testing purposes? I want to use my car battery. Do I just set the entire thing on the car fender or hood as a ground and run the hot wire to the pos on my battery?

Also, anyone got pics of the inners where the gears are? I took the entire thing apart for cleaning. I'm pretty sure the order of things but a good pic would make me feel a bit better.

Thanks again

You can use a set of jumper cables from you car battery

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.