Beacon Ray Model 17

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Finally took the plunge and invested in my first "real" vintage beacon. Prior to this I've really only collected lightbars.

Just a run-of-the-mill 17, but you've got to start somewhere I guess. Wet sanded the dome and tried polishing the base.

Couple questions:
- How do I know if I have an original/correct dome? I know there's a lot of talk about incorrect domes on these things.
- I can't seem to get the shine back on the base, especially around the placard. Can this be polished out or does it need a refinish?
- Any good source on the two gaskets for the base and the dome? Mine is missing both.
IMG-20210425-WA0001.jpg

Jun 18, 2013
PA

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
@I 26
You can try to contact Gary Cahill at Rescue Market:

He might have what you need in gaskets.

You can try to polish with Autosol which usually is a common product to polish chrome with.
It is also a good product to polish plastic lenses with too.

The two tapered screws that holds the name tag is completely wrong.
Try to find two sloted machine screws with nuts and it will look more original.

Michael

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.