Beacon Ray Oscillating

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
All,

Entertaining a Beacon Ray posted locally. Model 17 manufactured in '63 with glass red dome. Seller claims it oscillates, but was this an option on the 17? Not seeing it in the Beacon Ray guide here on eLightbars.

Also, fair condition - where would you value this?

Thanks

Jun 18, 2013
PA
the only beacon ray that oscillates is a 174. Model 17s are 2 lamps and rotate.
Glass dome is a plus, condition is everything, internals?

Fair condition.. $100-$150 glass dome might push that abit higher.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Thanks for the info. Listing has it at 350, didn't realize these were fetching lower prices.

I'm not sure a model 17 could fetch that unless near mint.
But I have been wrong before.

Reactions: Tony P
May 21, 2010
Western Montana
If the glass dome is in good condition (no chips, cracks and still translucent), it alone is worth $150 to $200. The rest $50 to $100 depending on whether the skirt (base) is cut or not, has dents/scratches/pitting, the condition of the manufacturing badge, if the bulbs and motor function, etc. Based on your description, I'd probably value it at $200 to $250.

Reactions: Dave F

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The only oscillating Beacon Ray was the Model 174, all others rotate. For $350, I say that it would need to be a glass dome Model 17 that is new, in the box, never installed, switch, mounting hardware and instructions included. If it is not all that, then it is worth $200-$250 with an uncut skirt, excellent condition skirt.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
If the glass dome is in good condition (no chips, cracks and still translucent), it alone is worth $150 to $200. The rest $50 to $100 depending on whether the skirt (base) is cut or not, has dents/scratches/pitting, the condition of the manufacturing badge, if the bulbs and motor function, etc. Based on your description, I'd probably value it at $200 to $250.
Pretty sure you meant "transparent", not "translucent". ;)

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I must not understand what you mean. It's my understanding that the glass dome is red, not clear.
By definition, translucent allows light to pass through, but it distorts light and does not allow objects behind the glass to be seen clearly. Translucent glass would be frosted or have a pebble surface, like a glass shower door.

Transparent glass may be clear or have color, but it does not distort light and you can see objects with clarity through transparent glass.

Reactions: dmathieu

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
In school I was taught that something translucent allowed only a portion of the light to pass through, while something transparent allowed all of the light to pass through. It seems I've been using the terms incorrectly for years. Thanks for straightening me out!

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Maxim2Eng makes a good point. Parts get swapped around and if it does have four bulbs and oscillates rather than rotates, then it is actually a Model 174 and those typically fetch $300+.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.