Beacon Ray Value

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Tried searching for this, but can't seem to find reliable answer.

Considering starting beacon collection, looking for value before buying.

Federal Signal Beacon Ray:

Model 17, Serial 2R...., clear glass dome, r/w bulbs, appears to be good condition.

Thanks!

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
$200 for a good condition model 17? I don't think so.

Model 17's are generally fetching $80 to $120 these days. That's here in the U.S., you might be on the high end of that scale up in Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Condition, age and style will make the prices for 17s between $50 and $300. A solid condition one with a clear glass dome will go for around $200 give or take $50. A clear glass dome is preferable, as colored bulbs make it go from ebay legal to police or fire style easily. The same beacon with a red dome may bring $50 less.

You can get a better idea of market value by searching the classifieds here, on ebay or using a craigslist search. Now and then there is a run on vintage lights, and a clear glass dome beacon ray of any type is high on everyones' lists. No matter how you start a collection, shop around. This is a niche enough market that prices can fluctuate based on the whim of a few people.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Hoser said:
No the 17 is the 2 bulb light. Pic's are worth a thousand words:)

Appears to be a 176. Still a nice light with a tall base.

Look closer at the tag. You can just barely see the "5". It's a 175. For a number of years, Federal used a stock tag like that, ingraving the last number in the model series as on this light. A lot of people just don't see that extra number. I've seen more than one 175 or 176 listed as a 17 on Ebay.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Skip Goulet said:
Look closer at the tag. You can just barely see the "5". It's a 175. For a number of years, Federal used a stock tag like that, ingraving the last number in the model series as on this light. A lot of people just don't see that extra number. I've seen more than one 175 or 176 listed as a 17 on Ebay.

Good catch Skip!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I'd bet 176

Beacon ray plate 175.JPG

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That is most definitely a 176, I magnified the image of the tag and there is a "6" stamped into the tag. This is how Fed Sig marked their beacon ray tags with the "2R" serial numbers. A 176 with a plastic dome is worth around $230. As previously mentioned, glass domes increase the value, generally on the order of around $40-$50. Now the one posted appears to have some pitting in the chrome, that diminishes it's value, but it does have the glass dome. I'd say it's worth around $250.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The tag looks dirty/faded, but it's a 176. They are around $200 usually, give or take. There was a stupid run on them on ebay last year. The fad has died down a bit.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
There were one or two eBay sellers listing Beacon Rays for outrageous prices, have not seen them in a while. I wonder if they thought someone was crazy enough to pay double what the items were worth or if perhaps they really did not want to sell them. You know, back at home it goes something like this: "Gee, honey, I put them on eBay, but I can't seem to sell them. Guess they will have to stay on the display shelf." :rolleyes:

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
I 26 said:
Thanks to the answers regarding value.

Wigwam, what's modified on it?

Sorry I was looking at 2 different photos of 2 different lights here, I thought the 175 had the 176 tag on it.

Todd:no:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Guess I'm getting blind in my old age, cause that definitely looks like a '5' engraved on that tag. Speaking of lights being "mistagged", though, I was looking at the tag on an old 175D that I have, and it's tag shows it to be a 176. Show here we go! :p

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.