Beaconray Model 17

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Thanks to Matt, I was able to acquire 1 of 2 things needed to complete a project.

But as usual with every step closer I have to take a step or 2 back.

Standard disclaimer applies here.. not a beacon guy so learning as I go... which is pretty much the usual for me.

So This model 17 has a tag that reads.. 1N16A7 and is 6V DC.
I think the tag decodes to January of 1957. For its age the interior is in immaculate condition, and it sports 2 4516 6v 30 watt lamps.

So I have 2 problems.. 1st is an immediate, 2nd is a like to do but eventually must do.

1.) 6VDC power supply.. I have several but none put out the required amperage needed at 6v. And my go to does not drop to 6V and only goes down to 8. So other suggestions? I could run a battery but not sure if that is a solution long term.. it might be the right answer however in the short term. My math puts the Amp draw at 12 amps.. +/- an amp. I see 12 to 6 V transformers.. but I do not believe they are rated at my required amperage draws.

2.) Replacement dome.. obviously this had a glass dome originally, and now does not. The dome it has now is good for display.. UNTIL you turn it around and there is a hole in it. Problem is its the older style dome.. I have replacement domes, but none of the smaller size. Eventually I need to locate a replacement dome, might be a PITA though from what I am getting told.

Optimized-20210212_173633.jpg

Optimized-20210212_173642.jpg

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
kind of off topic.. but anyone else go down this path?

6v 15A max should be more then enough to push this beacon.

For about double the money you can get a surplus power supply:

According to the datasheet, there's plenty of adjustment in the output voltage. You can go all the way down to 6 volts DC if desired. I would imagine that the output voltage of the generator on a 6 volt application is probably somewhere north of 7 volts.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I figure I would toss in some pictures of the beacon guts.. I am still really surprised at the overall condition considering age.

Optimized-20210215_201531.jpg

Optimized-20210215_201428.jpg

Optimized-20210215_201456.jpg

Reactions: OliverD
Jun 18, 2013
PA
age.

My understanding is that Fed Sig was transitioning away from glass in the early 60's.
This is going by what little remaining documentation I have read.

Very possible I am wrong, so I defer to the "experts" ;)

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Yeah, glass was offered in the early days, but plastic was, by far, the bulk of 17 series, both smaller and larger versions. To find smaller version glass domes is actually fairly rare. The plastic was actually less distorted than the glass dome. Federal advertised it as such. Easy way to tell on your light is by the thickness of the rubber bumpers that the dome sits on. The glass had a thicker lip, so used thinner bumpers. If your dome fits snuggly with no up/down play, your plastic dome is probably original. You have a nice looking light there. You never know, though, you could be right.

Reactions: stansdds

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Exactly what dmathieu said. If the plastic dome moves up and down, you need a glass dome, good luck finding a small diameter glass dome. I need one too for a 1957 Model 17... or a set of bumpers for a plastic dome.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
So the good news is I found a dome...
Still looking for a power supply

Was thinking this or something similar

I was thinking about getting one of the universal arcade power supplies as they have an adjustable +5v rail that can be bumped to 6v with a max of 15amps.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Remember that a 12 volt (nominal) power supply will output more than 13 volts. You might be wise to select a power supply that outputs just over 7 volts for your 6 volt (nominal) beacon.

Reactions: stansdds

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Sorry I did not see this post sooner. I have a lot of 6v lights and sirens. I use two options for powering them. For a while I have use the Stepdowns. They come in 10, 20, 30 and 40 amp.

Stepdown.jpg

But I am currently switching some of my wiring over to use one of these.

It is 6volts 40 amps
converter.jpg

Often when just running one light at a time I use an old Computer Supply. It has both 6v 18amp and 12v 18 amp outputs. You can get some now that will go up to 40 amps easy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.