Beefing Up a CJ-194

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Hey gang,

Sorry for my extended absence, but same old problem. But I am going in for the procedure on my back tomorrow, but paying for it myself since the insurance company can't make up their mind.

Anyway....my CJ-184 works like a dream, both the lights and the speaker. However, my good friend reminded me that most of the police departments that used them as their sole emergency illumination on their vehicles (and a number of fire departments, as well) were able to mod the motor somehow to increase the speed of the revolutions. I can remember that when the Mass State Police (not to be messed with) used them on their cruisers statewide, they rotated much faster than mine does. Additionally, we had two of these on our Snorkl back in Greensboro in the '70's and they turned considerably faster than mine.

Any ideas on the mod? Henry? Skip? Anybody?

Thanks,

Steve

DalmatProd

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Found this old post of mine with the inexpensive trick to make your CJ184 go hyperspeed.

CrownVic97 said:
CFD125 had a thread a long time back about using a simple rubber grommet that fits over the drive shaft and putting the band in the grommet's groove to increase the rotation rate of the CJ beacons. Here's a pic and video from his photobucket library.

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_lights_PALight001.jpg

Pa Light Video by CFD125 | Photobucket

And here's another thread for a "crackhead CJ184." :thumbsup:

http://elightbars.org/forums/f18/what-size-grommet-do-you-use-speed-up-federal-signal-cj-184-a-23478/

I did this same trick with my CJ and man does it go fast! I don't have the grommet on the motor post now, but I have it stashed away for when I do want to :) .

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Thanks CV for the links. Following them I found the details of the grommet to buy at Lowe's, including the part number! Ha!

Thanks again. Once I'm up and about, I'll pick it up and then post comparable videos.

Take care!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
You're welcome, Steve! Hope all goes well with you in the next few days :cool: .

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Ah, yes, the old grommet over the motor shaft trick. The CJ-185/284 supposedly gave 105 flashes per minute, but that was under perfect conditions with a brand new beacon. Put them out in the weather and in service for a while and the belt would slip in an excessive manner. The grommet provided a much better grip as well as a larger diameter drive, so the beacon would provide about 150 flashes per minute.

Good luck on you surgery and sorry about your insurance treating you like that.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Thanks, Stansdds, both for the CJ184 info, as well as your good wishes. I'm heading out at 10 EST. When, (NOT if) all goes well, I should be back online this evening and headed to Lowe's by Saturday or Sunday to pick up my little grommet.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Where I live the city FD had three pumpers and a rescue unit with CJs. From what I can remember all of them had the fast flash speed.

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
One of the other CJ-184's I have simply has a short piece of heater hose over the drive pulley to increase diameter.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
I believe that is what will be the result adding the grommet from Lowe's.

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
Same effect, but curious whether groove in grommet would add resistance to drive belt.

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Skip Goulet said:
Now I've learned something new. I would've guessed that you would've had to replace the motor with something Federal had available. So simple! :crazy:

Skip - I was thinking the same thing and I'm no "motorhead." I figured I'd have to leave it just as it is. But if the grommet truly works, it's one of those amazingly simple, yet rare, solutions in life!

Reactions: Skip Goulet

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
DalmatProd said:
Skip - I was thinking the same thing and I'm no "motorhead." I figured I'd have to leave it just as it is. But if the grommet truly works, it's one of those amazingly simple, yet rare, solutions in life!

I agree, Steve. I don't know how many junior beacons were scrapped because of a little plastic gear that went bad that Federal didn't, or wouldn't, supply. Eventually the late John Dorgan came up with a supplier. I know that I scrapped a decent old Junior because of that. And a similar gear on the 174s that gave it its wig-wag also went bad, and I think J.D. had a supplier of those, too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.