"BEEHIVE" / "JELLYJAR" Light Thread

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Below are Federal's versions of the "Beehive" light.

Federal called them "Scatter Ray", later renamed "Scat-O-Ray" lights

Federal Enterprises BR-2

Federal Sign And Signal BR-1 portable, meant to be mounted on a 6 Volt battery. (This is actually a Carpenter Light, but Federal's was almost identical)

Federal Sign And Signal BR-2, newer design

Federal Sign And Signal BR-2S

Federal Signal BR-2S H, 55 Watt halogen version.

S6302759.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsc183

Jul 10, 2011
Missouri
I WANT THEM..................ALL!!!! Great collection Dan!!!!!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Dan: Is that one light with the plug-in built by 'Lectric-Lites? I recently made a deal for one via this board. They were built in Ft. Worth, and I knew the company owners at one time. I have one NOS and two used red Federal BR-2s. I'd like to find a blue lens for one.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Skip Goulet said:
Dan: Is that one light with the plug-in built by 'Lectric-Lites? I recently made a deal for one via this board. They were built in Ft. Worth, and I knew the company owners at one time. I have one NOS and two used red Federal BR-2s. I'd like to find a blue lens for one.

The light with the red cord and plug is a K-D Dash Flasher.

The one with the metal base, and black cord and plug is a North American.

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
That Griffin 360 is beautiful with the amber dome. The lenses with horizontal only optics are hard to come by. Most that you see have both horizontal and vertical ribs.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Crownfire said:
That Griffin 360 is beautiful with the amber dome. The lenses with horizontal only optics are hard to come by. Most that you see have both horizontal and vertical ribs.
These also seem to give out a brighter more intense light than the double fluted variety. .

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
ex416 said:
congrats on the new addition Dan. that's a cool looking light. you sure do come up with some nice lights

That's only because Dan sits at his computer 24/7 looking for this stuff. Nobody can beat that way. :yes:

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Skip Goulet said:
Dan: This set shows the two different bases that Federal used on the BR series. Do you know when they switched from the flat base to the rounded base?

Sure Skip.

The older BR2, and the newer BR2 bases were meant for watertight flat mounting, like on the roof.

The Higher base BR2S, and BR2SH , according to Federal, were specially designed for rear posting on fire trucks.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
Sure Skip.
The older BR2, and the newer BR2 bases were meant for watertight flat mounting, like on the roof.

The Higher base BR2S, and BR2SH , according to Federal, were specially designed for rear posting on fire trucks.

That's interesting, as I've seen both styles mounted both ways.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Skip Goulet said:
That's interesting, as I've seen both styles mounted both ways.

With the BR2S model, there is no gasket to seal the wire hole in the roof against water infiltration. You would have to seal it with putty or silicone, not really the proper way to do things.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
With the BR2S model, there is no gasket to seal the wire hole in the roof against water infiltration. You would have to seal it with putty or silicone, not really the proper way to do things.

I have two with that rounded base and three-bolt mount. Both came with small grommets to seal the wire. Since I haven't mounted them anywhere, I don't know how well the grommets work.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.