"BEEHIVE" / "JELLYJAR" Light Thread

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Yeah, I'm a bit apprehensive but there's only one way to find-out! Be assured, i'll post once they get here and I'll fire-up a green one for some pics! For the price...how bad can they really be? They haven't called back as of yet and I have a pile of errands to run today so it may be later this evening or even tomorrow morning before I actually place the order... I can always order another or two if they turn-out to be cool. I was just hoping to get the price break. It was only a few dollars, regardless.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
OK, I recently got this little gem with two additional NOS lenses, replaced the plug and had to readjust the bulb to the photometric center. Pretty impressive little unit for what it is. Magnet-mount, original cord, not bad!

Attachments

• 20160215_114624 - Copy.jpg
    20160215_114624 - Copy.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20160215_113923.jpg
    20160215_113923.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 12
  • 20160215_114018 - Copy.jpg
    20160215_114018 - Copy.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
KD was the manufacturer? This one had a faded Sig-Stat sticker inside. Probably private-labeled...

I added the video for you "post a video" nuts! :rolleyes:

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Yeah, it turned-out quite well! It took a little bit of modifying of the bulb holder in order to achieve optimum light output and the damn bulb holder base contacted the flasher terminals at that point making for a cool impromptu welding display but with a little heat shrink on the flat terminals we were back in business! I kinda cheated with a 795X bulb, too... The NOS domes really help!

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
OK folks, without any further ado... the moment a select few of us have been waiting for.... drumroll please miastro... fresh out of the box, for your viewing pleasure...

A genuine imitation green glass BR2SH!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD2xnj5jbpo

My opinions: although the inner fresnelling is very narrow, it actually leans toward almost having none which gives it the appearance of the old-school "no inner fresnelling" domes producing a very sharp beam versus the wider, less-intense beams from the more contemporary units. The green is a bit darker than yours, Dan but a good green, nonetheless. One of the pictures compares the green to the other glass colors out there. Fit was obviously perfect but there is a huge "G" at the top vs. the "K" but... I'm satisfied at this point. Cool unit for the "collection", if you will...

Attachments

• 100_5381.JPG
    100_5381.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_5382.JPG
    100_5382.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_5384.JPG
    100_5384.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_5391.JPG
    100_5391.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_5387.JPG
    100_5387.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: kitn1mcc

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Acquired myself a little Carpenter over the weekend! Neat unit! Dan, does yours have a dual-contact #1196 or an #1195? Seems strange to me that it had the dual contact bulb inside..

Attachments

• 100_5579.JPG
    100_5579.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_5577.JPG
    100_5577.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 7

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Dibs on the green BR2 and maybe the red/amber split Carpenter. Oh, also anything non-internally fluted. Lemme guess, those were the ones you want to keep? :)

By the way, I have a NOS red lens in-the-box for that tall DoRay...

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Just bought a new pair of Carpenter lights. Rare version, Rare color amber, and at some point Carpenter/Kidde merger.
Supposed to be in undamaged condition. More pics after receipt and refurb.s-l1600 (2).jpg

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Dan, I'm thinking those might be a nautical application. Who's the boat expert on here? I know I've seen those on the masts of tugs in/around our port here, used in conjunction with a single red, possibly...

Masses...what sayest thou?

One of those would sure look cool on the roof a certain '59 snow plow jeep!

Wanna trade?

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
This type and brand light were also used heavily on emergency, tow, and DOT vehicles. Nautical tow would also be appropriate, like their use of current emergency/warning lighting. I'm thinking, since there is a pair, that they may have been on an old tow or DOT.
When I get them and clean them up, I MIGHT be convinced to sell or trade, as I really only need one for the collection. We'll see.
PM me with trade ideas.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
:(

I shouldn't get too sad, It's not like I don't know what it looks like. Lemme guess... it goes on, then it goes off, Right??? Hey Dan, am I right??? LOL...

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
OK, I recently got this little gem with two additional NOS lenses, replaced the plug and had to readjust the bulb to the photometric center. Pretty impressive little unit for what it is. Magnet-mount, original cord, not bad!

I have one that is similar; but it was built by Lectric-Lites, now in Ft. Worth, but based in Lubbock at the time I got the light. L-L started out as a small company run by a couple of brothers that built barricades and barricade lights. They decided to branch out sometime in the early '70s, building a large light bar known as the Ranger Strobe. They also started their own line of large lollipop lights and the magnetic beehive lights. The one I got was one of their early prototypes. I lost that light exactly 47 years ago yesterday when Lubbock was hit by a large F5 tornado. A friend of mine, the late Travis (Festus) Hagen sold ambulances for a Dallas co. that eventually became Modular Ambulance Corp. Travis kept his tradein vehicles on a shopping center lost close to his house; and I knew he had a well-equipped Olds station wagon ambulance at the time. I made it to his place and he pitched me the keys to the wagon. I handed him the beehive light and it went on an Olds combination, and he followed me. Long story short, the light became an early casualty from the store. Travis had driven under a tree that had a low-hanging limb as a result of the storm, and it knocked that light off like a baseball hit hitting a ball. End of that light. I actually found another one a few years ago that Dale Cohen (DCaptain) had, and that one I won't part with. It's hard to believe that 47 years have passed. My one "claim to fame" from that mess happened the following day, Tue. May 12, 1970. My partner on the ambulance, Rick, and I had responded out to the Lubbock Municipal Airport where a large Air Force transport had landed with cases and cases of whole blood. Someone in the state C.D. agency had panicked, thinking that the situation was worse than it was, given Lubbock's large size. So here Rick and I were loading all those cases into the back of a '64 Olds station wagon ambulance, when all of a sudden, three cameramen representing all three major TV networks walked up and got footage of us loading the back of the ambulance. That made national TV and I managed to get to see it one time. As to the tornado there were "only" 26 fatalities. Of course, that was 26 too many, but surprisingly small numbers, since Lubbock had a population of a bit more than 150,000 at the time. There were, however, about 1200 injuries. The Lubbock Municipal Coliseum became a refugee center and we were stationed there, transporting patients into then-Methodist Hospital (now Covenant Med. Ctr.) ER. We ran from Tue to Thurs, when they decided everyone was accounted for. I never wanted to do that again!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
I have one that is similar; but it was built by Lectric-Lites, now in Ft. Worth, but based in Lubbock at the time I got the light. L-L started out as a small company run by a couple of brothers that built barricades and barricade lights. They decided to branch out sometime in the early '70s, building a large light bar known as the Ranger Strobe. They also started their own line of large lollipop lights and the magnetic beehive lights. The one I got was one of their early prototypes. I lost that light exactly 47 years ago yesterday when Lubbock was hit by a large F5 tornado. A friend of mine, the late Travis (Festus) Hagen sold ambulances for a Dallas co. that eventually became Modular Ambulance Corp. Travis kept his tradein vehicles on a shopping center lost close to his house; and I knew he had a well-equipped Olds station wagon ambulance at the time. I made it to his place and he pitched me the keys to the wagon. I handed him the beehive light and it went on an Olds combination, and he followed me. Long story short, the light became an early casualty from the store. Travis had driven under a tree that had a low-hanging limb as a result of the storm, and it knocked that light off like a baseball hit hitting a ball. End of that light. I actually found another one a few years ago that Dale Cohen (DCaptain) had, and that one I won't part with. It's hard to believe that 47 years have passed. My one "claim to fame" from that mess happened the following day, Tue. May 12, 1970. My partner on the ambulance, Rick, and I had responded out to the Lubbock Municipal Airport where a large Air Force transport had landed with cases and cases of whole blood. Someone in the state C.D. agency had panicked, thinking that the situation was worse than it was, given Lubbock's large size. So here Rick and I were loading all those cases into the back of a '64 Olds station wagon ambulance, when all of a sudden, three cameramen representing all three major TV networks walked up and got footage of us loading the back of the ambulance. That made national TV and I managed to get to see it one time. As to the tornado there were "only" 26 fatalities. Of course, that was 26 too many, but surprisingly small numbers, since Lubbock had a population of a bit more than 150,000 at the time. There were, however, about 1200 injuries. The Lubbock Municipal Coliseum became a refugee center and we were stationed there, transporting patients into then-Methodist Hospital (now Covenant Med. Ctr.) ER. We ran from Tue to Thurs, when they decided everyone was accounted for. I never wanted to do that again!
BTW, I got wrapped up on my tornado story and forgot to mention: In the mid-70s the Johnson brothers (Freddy and Ronny) moved their operation to Ft. Worth and eventually sold to Code 3. While still Lectric-Lites they built one electronic siren, the Trooper, which looked like a scaled-down Federal Director. I have one of those, too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.