Behind the scenes

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
After all these years in business, it appears JDI will be shuttering its doors mid-March. Thank you for your support. Many of you have been like family. Some have been like crazy uncle Todd.

luck.jpg

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Shuttering? So it'll be open and closed more sporadically than it already is?

brts96

Feb 11, 2011
U.S, MN
That piece of paper may be worth more than the JDI warranty was ever worth, even during the "peak" of JDI operations.

Besides, the reason that they had the "your lifetime" warranty was that most of their vict - er, I mean, uh... customers didn't live to file claims with them.

Reactions: JazzDad

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
... Besides, the reason that they had the "your lifetime" warranty was that most of their vict - er, I mean, uh... customers didn't live to file claims with them.

Thumb.jpg Oh, so you know the warranty department is headed up by uncle Vito?

brts96

Feb 11, 2011
U.S, MN
No, and I'm sticking with that answer...

Besides, I heard that people that complain about JDI products, get "Special Replacement" products, to ensure that the customer service reps never hear from them again.

Apparently, the "Special Replacement" products must not have made QA/QC's acceptance criteria, and became "seconds".

According to Jazz, it does cut down on repeat business, but second complaint calls are near zero.

Attachments

• proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 15

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Definitely one of ours.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
No. All we provided were the faulty capacitors that went into the siren amp.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Not intentionally. We have ways of getting into many of the leading manufacturers supply chains.

And yes, some of our capacitors have flux on them. It's impossible to keep some from flowing onto the leads as we re-solder them together after repairs.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
You will think time has stopped as you watch your vehicle burn.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Word on the street is that the JDI CEO is retiring (aka going into hiding from the insurance companies). This true?

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
As the shutting down of JDI progresses, there is still a lot a record shredding before the authorities may show up.

records.jpg

Don't ask about the pointy hats. All I know is they are lined with aluminium foil, for some reason.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

brts96

Feb 11, 2011
U.S, MN
Maybe to speed things along, JDI should do some "product testing" at some of the manufacturing plants.

The fires may save time for the shredding crew, especially if all the facilities are wired anywhere close to how the products are.
I'm guessing that by the fire department gets there, it'll be worth their time.

These pics of the wiring were taken while visiting their Kerplukistan facility. The wiring crew was being praised for coming in ahead of schedule, and under budget for "unnecessary items", like junction boxes, conduits, etc. Apparently, the savings went back to the R&D crew.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 3

brts96

Feb 11, 2011
U.S, MN
For some reason (maybe JDI Security screened my post), my photos didn't attach. Here they are.

Attachments

• bad-wiring.jpg
    bad-wiring.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 18
  • bad-wiring-messy-electrical-box.jpg
    bad-wiring-messy-electrical-box.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Faulty-Wiring-300x300.jpg
    Faulty-Wiring-300x300.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 20
  • e251.jpg
    e251.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 19
  • hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 15

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I guess I need to bribe the forum owner a tad more. You snuck in the photos after all.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Well, there's the end of JDI's Makassar campus. The world will have no more new DazzleDome® beacons. Pity - they didn't catch fire too often.

campus.jpg

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
With the "Going out of Business" sale in full swing, our call centres are flooded with incoming calls.

flooding at the JDI call centre.jpg

brts96

Feb 11, 2011
U.S, MN
Jazz,
Is it true that you decided to go into the ocean freight business, and start your own shipping company?

Attachments

• _57789847_jex_1284429_de27-1.jpg
    _57789847_jex_1284429_de27-1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Salvage_1.jpg
    Salvage_1.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 3
  • five-oceans-salvage-mv-free-neptune-01.jpg
    five-oceans-salvage-mv-free-neptune-01.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 3

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Can't confirm nor deny it. Besides, all the photos you have posted are fake news.
pickle.jpg

brts96

Feb 11, 2011
U.S, MN
They may be "fake news", but it's what I heard through the grapevine.

Plus, since I heard it on the internet, it must be true.

Isn't refusing to confirm or deny a confirmation of sorts?

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Sounds like an opportunity for SeattleSAR Technologies Group to make an acquisition, if anything is left after the fire sale.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Carbon, silica, a few charred and rusty fasteners. (Wait, that was before the fire...)

Reactions: Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
I ordered some spare parts for my JDI Illumis that I have out in the garage. A box of ash showed up today.

It fit in prefect with the rest of the bar.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
And you were expecting... ?
shrug.jpg

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
I think I should clarify, my JDI Illumis is prior service (hence the ash) and I left my garage door open to the wind blew away half of what I suspect was the thermostatically switched flashing transducer, so I needed a new one to make the bar complete. I was pleased to see that the ash I received was the same color and consistency as the rest of the product. Well done, Jazz.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
It was customers like you that kept us in business for so long. There just aren't enough suckers, er, good clients like you these days.

Reactions: brts96 and kitn1mcc

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Screenshot_2019-08-31-11-54-20.png

Picked this up from the fire sale. Not sure what it is, though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.