Bench testing a spotlight

kabsher8093

Oct 12, 2013
KY
Got a spotlight from a friend of mine. Wanted me to test it before I put it on.
Put +12vdc to the wire and nothing happened, I moved the switch in both positions. I know the bulb is good, I tested the bulb.
How does the spotlight ground itself? I tried grounding the rod that runs through the A-post, but it sparks and shorts out. Does the rod ground itself on the A-post?
I'd like to bench test this thing first.
Kevin

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
It grounds thur the outside of the metal shaft.

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
Spotlights are self grounding. When we bench test we clamp the shaft in a grounded metal vice.

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
With the light setup for bench testing try removing the handle. There should be a little metal tip on the end of the shaft that was in the handle. Touch power to the tip. If it lights up the problem may have to do with the handle. It normally means the handle was just not installed correctly, but could also be an issue with the switch or the toggle.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.