best car for upfits

emt111

Jun 10, 2011
New York
I am actively in the market for a new car. I also just made Lieutenant at my ambulance corps, which means that in the very near future my new car will be getting a red light package, a siren, and a mobile radio. Anyone have any recommendations on current and semi current vehicles that are upfitter friendly? I'm primarily looking in the small SUV and large sedan range. The only real requirement is it needs to be 4wd/awd to handle winter weather.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
Umm not to sound Conceited but there is no more large Sedans since the Cancellation of the Crown Vic... I Dont find anything out there that compares to the crown vic they are all midsize cars.. I like the Explorer though its smaller then its previous version but for midsize I hear the Tahoe is the only other Comparable vehicle since the crown vic that agencies like..
My Canteen has an Excursion and F150's I have two Crown vics as we know No Need here in Florida for Awd
the Escape is too small and uncomfortable for bigger people or anyone who has to wear gunbelts and equipment like law enforcement but thats me ... hope someone has other opinions

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
2008 - 2012 escapes... They can be awd... It's what I drive and I have an install thread on it...

Although it's an older newer vehicle there are Havis consoles, and whelen siren brackets purpose built for it...

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Subaru's are pretty awesome. Like little mountain goats. Toyota tacomas and SUVs are pretty good as well.

As far as installs go I've only had experience with tahoe, equinox, trailblazer and various full size pick ups. Equinox was pretty easy to work on, lots of space under the dash for wiring.

emt111

Jun 10, 2011
New York
2008 - 2012 escapes... They can be awd... It's what I drive and I have an install thread on it...

Although it's an older newer vehicle there are Havis consoles, and whelen siren brackets purpose built for it...
I agree with you on that, I test drove escapes in that generation the last time I was looking at cars, but being a broke college student at the time, I had to go with the best deal I got which was my honda
the Escape is too small and uncomfortable for bigger people or anyone who has to wear gunbelts and equipment like law enforcement but thats me ... hope someone has other opinions
Absolutely agree with the current generation. I test drove one and felt squeezed in just in regular clothes. My full time job is law enforcement, and thinking about it, I don't know if I really could get in and out of an escape with a duty belt on, I'd probably just get stuck.
I've been thinking about a ford edge, the only thing is I don't know where I'd mount a siren/light controller and a radio on that console, unless I replace it with some sort of generic console. I'[ve seen a few pics and videos of pds that have ford edges, most notable NYPD, but I haven't been able to find anything about how that cars are set up inside.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.