Best Way to Control Lights Without factory Controllers

Blauanzug

Jul 19, 2014
SC
So first off, the gear (note I might not use all of the gear just listing all of it)

1x STL traffic advisor (6 led modules) (external controller) (amber)

2x Whelen Dual Talon (amber)

1x Whelen Dual Avenger (amber)

2x Code 3 LED flashers (white)

6x POS Amazon crappy thingys (white) (external controller) ((couldn't figure out how to resize picture, but these thingys http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71fOv-REwEL._SL1000_.jpg  ))

Ok so what I want to do:

In the front will be the Avenger on the dash and 2x POS Amazon thingys in the headliner, the rest in the rear.

LED flashers in the tail lights, traffic advisor on deck, and the 2 talon's and 4 POS things in headliner (POS things are already installed :( )

What needs to be visible:

The rear manly for highway visibility and on the side of the road

What I plan to use to control it all:

Arduino Mega for rear control and Nano/Mini for front control, will communicate with rear unit.

I will determine a pattern that works and stick with it.

Questions:

If I control the lights via the arduino, will the Whelen's and Code 3's work in solid burn and react to an interrupt in the ground?

As for the STL and POS, do I need LED drivers? as I will be directly controlling them. I was planing on using some high current transistors to do the job. What is the best strategy for using the equipment that I have. Please bare in mind that I am a DIY kind of guy, so I don't really want something that will do this for me. And I am bored.

Thanks!!!

bright_towguybran

Aug 28, 2021
CT
hi there! love your idea and have been thinking of doing a similar thing myself! any updates? I know this is an old thread but figured I'd check and see!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.