Best way to mount to headliner

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Hello all,

I have 2 dual Whelen Talons I’m planning on mounting on my headliner.

Trouble is, I’m having issues figuring out how to mount them.

I currently have these brackets pictured. But the problem with them is, it doesn’t matter how I bend them or mount them on my headliner, the light is crooked or angled to the front “corners” of the truck.

Any ideas on how to mount them? Truck is a ‘14 Silverado.

Attachments

• 58EA66C4-92A5-4D3E-98F8-023849E30A77.jpeg
    58EA66C4-92A5-4D3E-98F8-023849E30A77.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 19
Sep 16, 2018
Kentucky
Hello all,

I have 2 dual Whelen Talons I’m planning on mounting on my headliner.

Trouble is, I’m having issues figuring out how to mount them.

I currently have these brackets pictured. But the problem with them is, it doesn’t matter how I bend them or mount them on my headliner, the light is crooked or angled to the front “corners” of the truck.

Any ideas on how to mount them? Truck is a ‘14 Silverado.
Although the Talon is an obsolete light, they were VERY light, meaning decent suction cups would secure these just fine at the very top of the windshield. I don't see attaching directly to the headliner as an option without severe modifications, resulting in possibly damaging your headliner. Whelen does make visor and rear view mirror bracket mounts for the Avenger. Maybe you can mod one of these to fit the Talon.

Reactions: Mattdecker

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Although the Talon is an obsolete light, they were VERY light, meaning decent suction cups would secure these just fine at the very top of the windshield. I don't see attaching directly to the headliner as an option without severe modifications, resulting in possibly damaging your headliner. Whelen does make visor and rear view mirror bracket mounts for the Avenger. Maybe you can mod one of these to fit the Talon.

I thought about mounting to the glass with VHB tape but idk how well that’d work. I wouldn’t mind trading for a cheaper ILB if I could but haven’t found anything.

The talon I have on the passenger side is pretty straight and level but it’s sitting around an inch or so away from the windshield so it creates a lot of flashback.

Sep 16, 2018
Kentucky
I thought about mounting to the glass with VHB tape but idk how well that’d work. I wouldn’t mind trading for a cheaper ILB if I could but haven’t found anything.

The talon I have on the passenger side is pretty straight and level but it’s sitting around an inch or so away from the windshield so it creates a lot of flashback.
This light is without the flash shield I am assuming?

Reactions: Mattdecker

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
This light is without the flash shield I am assuming?

Nope. That is with the flash shield attached.

Both lights have the flash shields installed on them.

Here is a pic of them both mounted temporarily to see how it’d work. I’ll try to get some tomorrow when I get to my in laws or before we leave.

Attachments

• A4F28023-252F-48A0-A93A-310FD0C606AA.png
    A4F28023-252F-48A0-A93A-310FD0C606AA.png
    576.7 KB · Views: 33

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
There’s a thread here about using heavy duty coat hangars. A lot of people have had good success with them and being able to level them as needed. Might be worth a search.
Good luck,
Seth

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
There’s a thread here about using heavy duty coat hangars. A lot of people have had good success with them and being able to level them as needed. Might be worth a search.
Good luck,
Seth

Yeah, I’d read that post too. May give it a try if I can’t get these brackets to fit.

Im waiting to hear back if someone is going to buy the 2 dash lights from me. I’ve got my eye on a Code 3 supervisor in all red for $75 local to me.

Reactions: C17LVFD

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.