blackout mod 2014 ford

huntinggamo

Jan 9, 2011
northern colorado, USA
Have a quick question, have a few 2014 ford f150's that i will be outfitting for an agency here in the next few months, the agency is requesting hlf and tlf with a blackout mode to cut tail lights and reverse lights. what is required to do this blackout mode on the newer vehicles without the computer freaking out?

huntinggamo

Jan 9, 2011
northern colorado, USA
Got a reply over on another forum:  

"You can kill the brake lights by putting a relay in line with the brake pedal switch. Pull it off and open it up to figure out the right pins, but two will activate brake lights and the other activates the transmission interlock. This can be another good option... put a hidden switch somewhere on the interlock, and you can let the vehicle run but prevent anyone from putting the vehicle into gear.

There's no monitoring on the reverse lights. The computer won't care."

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
I replied over on Batboard as well, but...

Brake lights - kill these at the brake pedal switch. Two pins are brake lights, two are transmission interlock. You can actually disable the interlock with a hidden switch to prevent someone from putting the vehicle into gear when it's sitting idle.

Reverse lights - you can kill these at the bulb, there's no special monitoring going on.

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
To bring back an old topic if you haven't done this. The relay to disable the brake lights will not work. I have 2004 currently and if my brake lights do not work it locks the transmission from shifting.

Ford CanBus monitors the brake lights like a hawk. If your L and R side do not work you will not be able to shift. Trust me I learned this the hard way.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
To bring back an old topic if you haven't done this. The relay to disable the brake lights will not work. I have 2004 currently and if my brake lights do not work it locks the transmission from shifting.

Ford CanBus monitors the brake lights like a hawk. If your L and R side do not work you will not be able to shift. Trust me I learned this the hard way.
This has nothing to do with CAN-Bus, especially in a 2004. You can burn out every brake light and the vehicle will still shift just fine. Look at the brake pedal switch... some are 4 pin, some are 5. The 4 pin has effectively two SPST switches in there - one is the interlock, one is the brake lights. In some cases, killing the brake interlock is nice - it's a great anti-theft solution when you leave the vehicle idling.

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
This has nothing to do with CAN-Bus, especially in a 2004. You can burn out every brake light and the vehicle will still shift just fine. Look at the brake pedal switch... some are 4 pin, some are 5. The 4 pin has effectively two SPST switches in there - one is the interlock, one is the brake lights. In some cases, killing the brake interlock is nice - it's a great anti-theft solution when you leave the vehicle idling.
Yes I'm aware of the switches however when you have you're 2 main brake lights disabled you will not be able to shift. I had my 2 tail light assemblies removed from my 2004, and was not able to shift due to the bulbs being disconnected. Once reconnected the vehicle shifted fine. It may not have been CanBus but there are safety features that make it so you can't drive without brake lights.

On my Dept's 2013 Taurus they called me because it would not shift either and both brake lights were burnt out due to a short, the vehicle would not shift until the bulbs were replaced.

So if you looking to blackout for the sake of staying put yes a relay will work. But just keep that in mind

Not trying to say you're wrong but just sharing a precautionary tale, and something to consider.

Edit for spelling

Last edited by a moderator:

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
You're entirely incorrect. Based on what you're saying, if the brake lights burned out, you couldn't shift into gear? I've *never* seen a Ford vehicle work this way... and the number of hoopties on the street with burned out brake lights that still seem to drive around successfully would dispute your theory.

If the bulbs are shorted, this could cause odd issues depending on the electrical system design. In some vehicles, like the Super Duties, there was one circuit (two pins) on the pedal than handled both brake light illumination AND the safety interlock. I could see this causing an issue. However, that assumes the brake lights are shorted... when lightbulbs fail, they go open, not shorted.

In other Ford vehicles with 4/5 pin brake pedal switches, the safety interlock and the brake light circuit are totally separate.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Not sure about newer Fords, but on my old CVPI, a simple switch wired into the brake circuit at the fuse box disabled the lights and locked the shifter until the switch was deactivated. It was a lighted rocker switch, and the switch lit up instead of the brake lights so you knew it was activated. The added benefit was using it as a shifter lock when out of the car while it was running.

Everyone talks about liability in brake light cutoffs, but can anyone cite one single case of legal action resulting in their use? What is the difference from running dark on a city street to sneak up on a call and adding this extra step? In my opinion, none.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jarred J.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.