Boarder Patrol and Customs Installs

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Unicor. Its BOP based. http://www.unicor.gov/fleet/upfitting/ They do shitty work. I cant tell you how many times I have repaired their shit wiring. They are a pain to deal with when trying to get them to pay on repair work. Its not like a Customs vehicle stationed in Chicago can go to Texas for a repair of a siliconed in K-9 cage that they drilled through the brake/ tail light harness on a PI

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Dosent matter all the lightbars they have are shitty anyways they just got 4 strobes in the whole frikin package i have seen them running code i think a school bus has more warning power than one of thire units. :lol: and yes i know i did not spell everything correctly

TNFF412N

May 22, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
im not sure about the lift kits and such, i was in an offroad outfitter store outside DelRio Texas a few years ago and they were upfitting a Ford F350 with lift kit and taking out the back seat to hold the spare and a weapons rack.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
There's something not quite right about having prisoners do installs on LE vehicles...You almost wonder if any of them are smart enough to install a secret kill or door unlock button...

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
dustymedic said:
There's something not quite right about having prisoners do installs on LE vehicles...You almost wonder if any of them are smart enough to install a secret kill or door unlock button...

and if the prisoners do in fact do the installs (which i doubt they would regularly do), it'd also make u wonder if they really want to do a good job on a LEO's ride ;)

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
you'd be surprised how many agencies use prisoners to do their installs.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
The federal prisoners do work on the installs..This is right off their website.

It is the mission of Federal Prison Industries, Inc. (FPI) to employ and provide job skills training to the greatest practicable number of inmates confined within the Federal Bureau of Prisons; contribute to the safety and security of our Nation's federal correctional facilities by keeping inmates constructively occupied; provide market-quality products and services; operate in a self-sustaining manner; and minimize FPI's impact on private business and labor

The upfitting is supervised by Unicor staff

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Funny story..long ago (mid 80s,) Seal Team 6 was being stood up at Little Creek, VA. You can read about this in Rogue Warrior by Dick Marcinko. They got in trouble for all sorts of questionable buying practices, like buying non DoD automatic weapons, and S&W .357 revolvers. About the time of the Uganda plane hijack where an Israeli plane was taken there, 3 black Mercedes limos were delivered to the local Motorola dealer who had the contract for our city vehicles. I was still in the Navy then but (still) on the local VFD. We had taken an ambulance over for some work on it, and these loooong limos are being worked on. Encrypted Motorola communications, thicker than normal doors, thick windows that only drop 5", cutouts in the doors, weapons holders on the ceiling, HAW strobes, Motorola sirens. I ask one of the installers who owned these, and he said the purchase order came from "Public Works, Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base." Now, being the sharp Navy Chief I am, I know not to ask any more, but I also know all the east Coast Seal teams come out of Little Creek.

I believe the limos were used by the Israelis when they went into Uganda in C130s to free their people.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
In the past we used mechanically inclined jail trustys to do all kinds of mechanical work on our stuff. I NEVER let them, or tools, out of my sight when they were working on my car, but other troops would just let them have at it.

The jail still keeps one on barf detail, for any unit that comes in with a prisoner who has yakked, or worse.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
My former PD used decals made by prisoners to mark our cruisers years ago. At the time, we had a major ski resort located in our jurisdiction, so our patches and car door shields had a man skiing down a slope. We got a couple of new cars once, and installed the decals. About a month later, a little girl and her mother approached an officer to complain. Apparently we hadn't noticed that the prisoners had made the little skiing man with a hardon! I was laughing my ass off while the sergeant was outside with a bottle of white-out brushing out the little ski guy's boner. We stopped using the prison decal shop after that!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.