Border Patrol EMT Excursion (2006-2009)

surf_kat

May 28, 2010
SE AZ
Here is a series of pic of our EMS Excursions. Both M4531 and M4538 were 2 years old when we got them. They had similar modifications (M4531 interior patterned off an Odyssey Automotive cabinet, M4538 ended up with a Truck Vault). Both were taken out of service in 2009 for broken frames.

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_EMT_20Excursion_EMTExcursionLeeStation.jpg

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_EMT_20Excursion_01_21_07_1131.jpg

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_EMT_20Excursion_EMTExcursion2.jpg

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_EMT_20Excursion_EMTExExtNight.jpg

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Given the stokes basket, I ass-u-me you transport patients. Do you have any sort of expanded scope of practice, such as an EMT-T might? Or are you within the standard protocols of either BLS and/or ALS?

ems60

May 22, 2010
USA / MA/ Cape Cod
I was watching border wars last week and one of the agents said that the vehicle mfg's should give them the trucks instead of the proving grounds because they beat the shit out of them and none of the big three hold up, they were using pick ups

cbpdogboy

May 23, 2010
Detroit, MI
Supposedly, I heard that Border Patrol is starting to get the new Ford Raptors that are outfitted with 10k in suspension upgrades...

surf_kat

May 28, 2010
SE AZ
cbpdogboy said:
Supposedly, I heard that Border Patrol is starting to get the new Ford Raptors that are outfitted with 10k in suspension upgrades...

Posted on your Raptor thread. Nine being prepped in CA from what I've heard. The 2011 Raptor Super Crew was just announced. It wouldn't surprise me if we see some of those as specialty vehicles. I'd love to get a Raptor to replace my Tahoe (standard setup in my truck).

surf_kat

May 28, 2010
SE AZ
Doug said:
Given the stokes basket, I ass-u-me you transport patients. Do you have any sort of expanded scope of practice, such as an EMT-T might? Or are you within the standard protocols of either BLS and/or ALS?

We don't do patient 'transport' to medical care facilities. We do use our vehicles to 'evacuate' patients from rough/rugged terrain to a point that we can transfer to an awaiting ambulance or medical helicopter. It is a distinction made due to the Certificate Of Necessity (CON) that AZ BEMSTS oversees in regards to ambulance services.

Our EMT-Basics have protocols allowing IVs, bi lumen and supraglottic airways (Combi/King) and epinephrine auto-injectors. We also do some public health awareness training in order to identify some of the 'exotic' diseases that might pose a health risk (Chagas, scabies, H1N1, etc have been big in the last year).

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
My dad was the fleet manager for the El Centro sector years and years ago and always had a new story about something being broken in a weird way. I think the Border Patrol is harder on their vehicle's than anyone else. If they approve it, it has to be good.

surf_kat

May 28, 2010
SE AZ
RL1 said:
My dad was the fleet manager for the El Centro sector years and years ago and always had a new story about something being broken in a weird way. I think the Border Patrol is harder on their vehicle's than anyone else. If they approve it, it has to be good.

Chrysler/Jeep came down when we were breaking the Wranglers and Dodge Ram 2500s. They told us the can't build a vehicle to meet our terrain issues.

We broke the axle on this truck:

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_DSC_5052.jpg

Stendec

May 21, 2010
VolEms said:
Why dont the BP use Hummers like the Military? It looks like they work in the same terrain as the Army .

I know it would be sacrilege, but Toyota and Nissan quad cab pickups seem to spend as much time in combat as HUMVEES, and actually fit into most places people need to go. They, and and old school LandCruisers, conquered the world.

I guess the milspec hummer is still in production, but everybody wants a MRAP and the HMMV is a little much for scooting around a base.

surf_kat

May 28, 2010
SE AZ
VolEms said:
Why dont the BP use Hummers like the Military? It looks like they work in the same terrain as the Army .

We had H1 Hummers at a cost of over $100k per vehicle. The vehicles have to be approved for civilian highway use (so no military humvees). The width of the Hummer/humvee was a problem and like everything else we broke them (I recall an electrical problem on one with <20 miles on it).

Stendec

May 21, 2010
surf_kat said:
We broke the axle on this truck:

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_DSC_5052.jpg

I'm guessing that you just couldn't call up Clem and Cletus's Tow & Go to get that bad boy out of the back 40. I certainly hope that the rear plate is mounted better, and illuminated as per statute ;)

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
As far as that Excursion, :cry: Its beautiful, I want one!!! minus the broken frame of course. Yall are def. hard on some trucks, It would seem that if a vehicle lasts out there in the hands of the BP it would be more than perfect for consumers....

surf_kat

May 28, 2010
SE AZ
Stendec said:
I'm guessing that you just couldn't call up Clem and Cletus's Tow & Go to get that bad boy out of the back 40. I certainly hope that the rear plate is mounted better, and illuminated as per statute ;)

We use a lead and follow vehicle if we have to travel through our 'urban' areas.

surf_kat

May 28, 2010
SE AZ
Blade Runner said:

I'm sure he was found guilty in 'Doughnut Court', although being Texas, he might have been sentenced to 'carne asada'.

Here is real off road (Arizona) using street tires (which lasted about 500 miles).

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_Tahoe_IMG_0183.jpg

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_Tahoe_IMG_0187.jpg

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_Tahoe_IMG_0189.jpg

The last one has a couple of wheels off the ground. That Tahoe had 150 miles on it at that point...

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_Tahoe_IMG_0262.jpg

surf_kat

May 28, 2010
SE AZ
Stendec said:
I know it would be sacrilege, but Toyota and Nissan quad cab pickups seem to spend as much time in combat as HUMVEES, and actually fit into most places people need to go. They, and and old school LandCruisers, conquered the world.

Believe me, I've looked into a lot of different vehicles. Unfortunately since we're CONUS and have to deal with all the safety/emission regulations as well as the Berry amendment, we're stuck with 'US' vehicles.

I'd love to have a Toyota LC 78 like this conversion by Arctic Truck:

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_GJ8B9496.jpg

ai177.photobucket.com_albums_w220_surf_kat_GJ8B9789.jpg

Stendec

May 21, 2010
Surf_Kat,

If I obscure the markings and numbers, can I use some of those photos in our EVOC class?

surf_kat

May 28, 2010
SE AZ
Blade Runner said:
Any backstories on these?

Yeah, most are line of duty incidents (no one seriously hurt or killed). The Crown Vic was an EVOC training with a basic trainee whose speed was a little too high for a corner.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.