Boston Modifies ambulances for obese patients...

AdaFire38

May 16, 2010
Lowell, MI
07GD SFD said:
Yes, let's cater to the obese rather than try to get them to a healthy weight...

Gee... that's about the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile. "Sorry, Ms. Jones. We won't transport your because you're too fat."

So what you're suggesting is we discriminate against fat people? Maybe we should paint "call us back when you've lost a hundred pounds." on the side of the ambulances?

I think you really need to check yourself.

07GD SFD

May 21, 2010
VT
Actually no, not once did I say we should discriminate against them or not transport. I said we should do something to help curb the problem rather than adjusting to it.

So, please, check yourself.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
They show the cot at it's full height, then suddenly it's at collapsed height. Do the crews still have to lower it?

BigDogg795

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
dustymedic said:
They show the cot at it's full height, then suddenly it's at collapsed height. Do the crews still have to lower it?

We usually lower it once it's on the lift...since we're still on the ground. I couldn't imagine being tall enough to lower it once the lift is up...

AdaFire38

May 16, 2010
Lowell, MI
07GD SFD said:
Actually no, not once did I say we should discriminate against them or not transport. I said we should do something to help curb the problem rather than adjusting to it.

So, please, check yourself.

Ok... so... in the meantime, while they are working their hardest at losing some weight, what is your plan? What about the people who are unable to lose the weight due to an illness or an injury? Too bad for them, huh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Im fat too can i have some dorritos and mayonaise while you guys figure out who is wrong and who is right.

chfdbigbad

May 22, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
BigDogg795 said:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/01/11/boston_revamps_ambulance_for_obese_patients/

It's actually a pretty good system, we have them on our buses in my department. Makes it much, much easier to transport the patients we can't lift on our own.

I run private ambulance and we have a couple of these installed on our bari trucks and they NEVER get used. im on one of them about once a week and ive never used it, even when using the bari cot with a 500 lb pt.

personally i think if someone made a power bari cot that would be alot easier than these ramp systems. then you could have both members at the feet supporting the pt weight. or do what we do and put the 2 medics on the foot end and grab someone else to pick up the wheels.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Some of the ambulances in the cities have a ramp that they attatch to the back of the box and a winch in the front of the bed for larger patients...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
We have folding ramps and winches in all our ambulances.... there are several bariatric rehab centers in the area. The system takes about 4 minutes to setup and can be done by one crew member while the other assesses the pt. They are a pain to carry, but nice to have.

http://www.transaferamps.com/

here's the kit we use, promedica health system in Toledo uses the same system. These sorts of transports are becoming more and more common whether we like it or not, luckily many of them are from facilities vs. trailer homes.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
JohnMarcson said:
We have folding ramps and winches in all our ambulances.... there are several bariatric rehab centers in the area. The system takes about 4 minutes to setup and can be done by one crew member while the other assesses the pt. They are a pain to carry, but nice to have.

http://www.transaferamps.com/

here's the kit we use, promedica health system in Toledo uses the same system. These sorts of transports are becoming more and more common whether we like it or not, luckily many of them are from facilities vs. trailer homes.
We have a bariatric rig set up the same way. We use it usually 1-2 times a week. We are the only one on this half of the county, so it is dispatched in a mutual aid aspect as well. The ramps make it 100x easier, because the litter always stays down. No lifting required.

Stryker is working on a power bariatric litter. They could not find a set of hydraulics to lift it originally, but I guess they have found a way. The only time I would think it would be helpful is when you need to transfer a pt out of a higher bed. Keeping the litter all the way down while in motion is the best way to do it, as it keeps the center of gravity much lower.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
We had a similar setup at my old job on a dedicated "bariatric truck". They wanted me to be one of the dedicated crew for it, because I "lift things up and put them down" like the guy on the Planet Fitness commercial, lol. I politely declined...

When you've already carried them down two flights of narrow West Philly row home stairs from their third floor "closer to God syndrome" bedroom, what's one final hernia to get them in the truck? LOL!

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
kitn1mcc said:

You owe me a new keyboard. :lol: When I read that I laughed so hard I spit my coffee all over my desk. That was funny as hell!

Back on topic. It is sad that there is such a large need for these typ of units. Ten years ago I rarely ever had bariatric calls, but now it's atleast once a week. That is a nice setup you have there. The setup where I used to work had a bari stretcher, a wich rated at 2000 lbs mounted under the jump seat, and a pair of tracks (like you would use to get a four wheeler in the bed of a truck) in the spine board compartment.

On another note. I agrees that we do need to work on getting America healtier (AKA lighter!). I believe economics has a large part to do with. If you go to the grocery store what's going to be more affordable, a weeks supply of fresh fruits and veggies or a weeks supply of snack cakes?! We need to eat smarter, but we also need to be able to afford to. We also need to get rid of "play station @ss" :lol: by exercising. I'll admit, I'm not small by any stretchof the imagination. I'm 6'5" and in the 250 range. I'm a big dude! But I exercise, and I don't keep much junk food in the house. I also got rid of soda - yeah, that was hard as hell!

07GD SFD

May 21, 2010
VT
Newberry13 said:
You owe me a new keyboard. :lol: When I read that I laughed so hard I spit my coffee all over my desk. That was funny as hell!

Back on topic. It is sad that there is such a large need for these typ of units. Ten years ago I rarely ever had bariatric calls, but now it's atleast once a week. That is a nice setup you have there. The setup where I used to work had a bari stretcher, a wich rated at 2000 lbs mounted under the jump seat, and a pair of tracks (like you would use to get a four wheeler in the bed of a truck) in the spine board compartment.

On another note. I agrees that we do need to work on getting America healtier (AKA lighter!). I believe economics has a large part to do with. If you go to the grocery store what's going to be more affordable, a weeks supply of fresh fruits and veggies or a weeks supply of snack cakes?! We need to eat smarter, but we also need to be able to afford to. We also need to get rid of "play station @ss" :lol: by exercising. I'll admit, I'm not small by any stretchof the imagination. I'm 6'5" and in the 250 range. I'm a big dude! But I exercise, and I don't keep much junk food in the house. I also got rid of soda - yeah, that was hard as hell!

+1

AdaFire, git him! ;)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.