Buckey Rotoray

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
Are you refering to the old school version like in this video ? There is one for sale on Ebay right now.

There is a modern version that lots of fire departments have... I have the mfg.'s information due to his old school feelings on the world wide web.

elite907

May 23, 2010
Indiana, USA
Yeah the guy who makes these is in Ohio andhe is using Tomar Led's in them now.

Kinda cool if you got the spare $$ to throw away.

bpollard

Jun 13, 2010
USA, SC
Our city's new pumper has a roto-ray. Sealed beam, not LED. Two reds and one clear. I always thought they were more of a traditional thing, like a bell on the bumper. just something that was more for nostalgia than any real warning capability.

I was WRONG. This new pumper is decked out to the max with latest generation LED lightbar and lightheads all over it. And when you see it responding, day or night, what really catches your eye is the RotoRay. It's really impressive in the daytime, and its unreal at night.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Our rescue has a LED R/R:

DSCF0690a.jpg

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
ark_firefighter said:
Are you refering to the old school version like in this video ? There is one for sale on Ebay right now.
There is a modern version that lots of fire departments have... I have the mfg.'s information due to his old school feelings on the world wide web.

I can't find anything on ebay.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Bigassfireman said:
Thanks John, think I was leaving the "s" off of Rays!

Actually they added an "s"... it's not listed very well

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
The auction ended with a high bid of $710.00, but didn't meet the reserve. It may be relisted soon, but if it is, they better drop the reserve a bit if they want it to sell, as I doubt anybody has that kind of cheese laying around so soon after Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
One of these sold on ebay about a year ago for $2,400.

03crownvic said:
The auction ended with a high bid of $710.00, but didn't meet the reserve. It may be relisted soon, but if it is, they better drop the reserve a bit if they want it to sell, as I doubt anybody has that kind of cheese laying around so soon after Christmas.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
elite907 said:
Yeah the guy who makes these is in Ohio andhe is using Tomar Led's in them now.
Kinda cool if you got the spare $$ to throw away.

No, he in fact is NOT in Ohio, and never was (the original manufacturer Buckeye Iron and Brass Works was located in Ohio). As correctly stated, he's located in Virginia, at 722 Park Ave, Herndon and also happens to be my uncle (and a retired career Fairfax County Fire/Rescue Lieutenant) who purchased the patents decades ago when Buckeye's ownership on them lapsed and he began producing them himself from his shop in Herdon.

cory y

May 21, 2010
i dont get em...

I dont understand why the desire to have a propeller on the front of your fire engine? besides... i wouldnt want to be the guy who gets his head bashed in by the violently spinning weights

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
I grew up in Loudoun County, VA, nearly all the fire / rescue apparatus there have roto-rays. They are awesome. I never understood why it didn't catch on in the central states. There's not any danger of getting your head bashed in by one unless you have a habit of placing your head underneath the winshield on the front of your apparatus. Most of the units that had them as I recall were set so they shut off when the vehicle was parked, and only activated while responding to the scene. I miss them. lol

cory y said:
i dont get em...

I dont understand why the desire to have a propeller on the front of your fire engine? besides... i wouldnt want to be the guy who gets his head bashed in by the violently spinning weights

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
WhiteLite03 said:
There's not any danger of getting your head bashed in by one unless you have a habit of placing your head underneath the winshield on the front of your apparatus. Most of the units that had them as I recall were set so they shut off when the vehicle was parked, and only activated while responding to the scene. I miss them. lol

Yeah there might be the case that someone tries to run around a newly arrived fire truck an gets his head bashed from the still moving whatever you call it.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
SPMRC said:
Yeah there might be the case that someone tries to run around a newly arrived fire truck an gets his head bashed from the still moving whatever you call it.

While I don't doubt there are asshats out there that could pull that off, look at where it is situated on the pumper in that picture above... It'd take a pretty special person to run into that.

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
WhiteLite03 said:
While I don't doubt there are asshats out there that could pull that off, look at where it is situated on the pumper in that picture above... It'd take a pretty special person to run into that.

Or even worse, the driver hits someone with this truck.

Not only does the person gets injuries from the truck, no he gets his had smashed as well.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
SPMRC said:
Or even worse, the driver hits someone with this truck.
Not only does the person gets injuries from the truck, no he gets his had smashed as well.

...... :Banghead: I am done with you, sir.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
This is entirely anecdotal evidence, but my uncle is colorblind and for him, red lights aren't particularly visible, but Roto-Rays stick out like a sore thumb for him. They're great warning devices, very effective.

And if you don't want to worry about people getting hit by them, just make a wire cover for it like electric fans usually have.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
If they are smart enough to get hit by one of these lights, then they deserve it.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
Bigassfireman said:
If they are smart enough to get hit by one of these lights, then they deserve it.

+1:thumbsup:

Zetronist

Jun 5, 2010
Long Island, New York
I liked the slower speed of the old (original) Rotorays-- You would see three distinct flashes of light as it passed by your point of vision. The new ones just look like a circle of light which, in my opinion, don't do the job that the old ones did... (My wife always accuses me of being born in the wrong century, lol)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.