Building a Boston PD XL9000 Vlone- Need Assistance!

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
As the title says, I'm hoping to build a BPD clone XL9000. I'm just in the process of cleaning the bar up and getting it purring again. It's amber. I got it for $75 Canadian ($60 USD or so) and it's in overall good physical and working condition.

So where to begin? My big questions are:

-Domes: I'd need two blue domes w/ clear cutouts. Probably to too common. This brings me to my next question...
-Cutouts: if I can't find domes with them, how can I go about making them and to spec? The rear domes' amber cutouts look like a given for making my own cutouts or getting some made. Making these brings up some concerns.
-Flasher, t/ds and alleys: what are the parts that I need (specs, etc)? Are they hard to find?
-Endcaps: how the heck can I put clear endcaps on?
-Unit/car number on rear of speaker grille: I can think of someone who can do this and failing that, know where I can get that done. Was a specific paint shade/colour used for the numbers?
-Other things that I should know: besides getting blue filters for the rotators, I haven't the foggiest as to where to begin and any pointers would be much appreciated!

What siren did BPD use when these bars were in service? I want to pair it with the siren used in this era as well as something close to the switchbox that was used. I pair clone bars with the siren/controller that the dept used. Sirens are muffled with resistors. It makes for a neat display that's caused some major nostalgia for ret'd LE friends.

Any info and advice would be VERY appreciated!

It's all a tall order but well worth the time and effort.

Reactions: kitn1mcc
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Well the hardest part is going to be finding blue anything in XL. Dome assembly is at least not that complicated. Endcaps are pretty easily removed with 4 screws and the pop off.
You can then split the dome halves depending on what topper is there, if its the metal topper you can drill out the pop rivets and they will come apart.

I wish I could help further but I know next to nothing about how the Boston bars are setup.
I can offer up a stripped XL frame if that helps... lol

Last edited:
May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
Boston pd had a split dome and a regular blue dome, but expect to pay dearly for a blue dome (IF you can find one).

dont think you need blue filters with a BPD bar.i think the ends just flashed white with the endcaps being white (unless i missed something :) )

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I can't say this is great news, specifically the part about the rarity and price of blue domes. Although not XL related, I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say that blue twin domes are becoming scarce and pricey. I'm still looking for a 12EF for my clear domes and was going to just put r/b on my 12 IF I found a 12EF. I did a couple years ago on ebay of all places. It was going for a song. Got distracted and sniped by $2.50. That one still stings as it was in GREAT condition.

Back to XLs, the bar's amber. I'm not a fan of amber at all. I don't want it to be an amber bar l. The plan was to clean and wet sand/polish the domes and sell them. Going r/r with it is a bit boring. I need more blue halogen lighting! Clear domes would be really neat, but I'm guessing that they're in a similar boat as blue ones.

Besides the dome debacle, what about the other parts? The alleys, t/ds and rear flashers? If I can't do a BPD bar, I might as well make something unique.

That, or it's going to be a pretty long-term project. I'll clean it up and stow it on the bottom of the "to do" shelf and see what happens.

Photos for reference:

52792c1c584e6382b7107c253660b53f.jpg

02fa8f7d5853b452ffb52fe544076f2b.jpg

51821da82ae92651a29c34767d383ffd.jpg

Reactions: StEaLtH2
May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
The takedowns/alleys and flasher stuff shouldnt be to hard to find.........i dont believe anyways.

i had a clear xl5000 but sold both domes awhile ago, and no its red/red after being domeless for about 5 years (being unemployed kinda put a damper on stuff for me). Now i have an SD bar that ive been debating what to do with it (needs a dome and i think 6 sealed beam bulbs, been debating on swapping the inner guts for force 4 rotators to be more cost friendly on me but also wanna keep it as is).

cant really help with xl parts though unfortunately, but whatever comes your way.......snatch at it, also keep eyes open on ebay ;)

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
If you decide to go with clear domes, I have a pair of all clear, newer models with plastic strip to hold both dome halves. They are restorable, but pretty faded. I'll give them to you for the shipping only. I have no use for them. I figure from your first post you're canadian as well?

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
If you decide to go with clear domes, I have a pair of all clear, newer models with plastic strip to hold both dome halves. They are restorable, but pretty faded. I'll give them to you for the shipping only. I have no use for them. I figure from your first post you're canadian as well?

I'm most definitely Canadian unless one considers my home region to annexed by Michigan, in which case I'm unsure ;) . I'm in another region now. Sadly, its being consumed by Toronto, like much of the province. If this region ever becomes North Toronto, I'd also be unsure if I'm Canadian or another Torontonian drone. The latter possibility is understandably terrifying.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
When I think of Boston PD cars with the Code 3 XL9000 light bar I think of the TV show Spenser for Hire. I can remember one episode where the sound technicians dubbed in the sound of a Unitrol 800 for the siren.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Steve Anderson would be a good contact for this project.
Is he still ever on elb? I see him on facebook. We could try the magic summons..
oh @emtanderson51 heed my call and be summoned to this thread.. o_O

Reactions: StEaLtH2

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
I have had a few (and still have) a Boston XL bar. You do need 1 blue rotator filter on the passenger side outer rotator. Thats the only inner rotator filter you need. Its a fairly standard bar though. 2 Front take downs, 2 rear flashers, 4 rotators and single alleys (one on each side).

Reactions: WhelenNDealin

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
So the rotator on the driver's side is unfiltered and the passenger side is b/w?

Getting domes and parts is my biggest concern. Also getting cutouts made (if needed). I don't think that it's impossible to build, it's a matter of hunting down parts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.