Building a Command Cabinet

Medic_186

Sep 7, 2016
Richmond, VA
Has anyone or their agency built their own custom command/equipment cabinet for the rear of an SUV? Looking at doing this instead of going with something from Rockland, Odyssey, etc... Does anyone have any plans/schematics and/or pictures? What was the total cost? Looking for ideas. Thanks!

dcarrfire45

Feb 4, 2012
stafford ct
i built one for less than $100 for my expedition. but it depends how in depth you want to get. mine was painted instead of carpeted and built from particle board instead of plywood (spend the extra on plywood). it held up for a few years until I took it apart when I got a new truck. ill see if I can find the pics of it

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
Use MDF over plywood last one I did was double 3/4" on the sides for 1.5" thickness. Overkill for the minor weight but it didn't look right smaller. Also made cutting the slots & pockets for cross pieces easy no worry of blowing through

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
If you want it to last I'd strongly recommend marine grade plywood. Or exterior rated signboard if you can get it for a good price.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.