Bull Bars... your opionions please.

Alex

May 21, 2010
Queen Creek, AZ
Hey truck (or suv) guys:

What are your thoughts and opinions on bull bars? Love them, hate them, or indifferent.

If you have one, do they provide any frontal protection or are they just for appearance and perhaps an additional mounting platform for off road lights?

I do like the look they provide as well as the option for off road lights, but I would also like some front protection. I wouldn't necessarily be pushing cars out of the way or knocking over block walls, but you never know when you may slip or slide.

http://www.autoanything.com/grille-guards/77A4783A3579421.aspx?kc=ffsku&ctype=2&gclid=CMnsoJST4KUCFSdtgwodp1HY1w

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
For our silverados, I don't think there is a whole lot out there, that has enough strength to prevent damage from anything other then a run-away shopping cart. Otherwise, I think in other collisions, the bar is going to cause more damage then it prevents.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
I think my brother has one for a 08 Ram 1500 for sale still, I told him not to buy it and now he knows why. I have the full size wrap around one on my truck and love it. I bounced a fawn off of it at about 65 mph one night and it didnt flinch. The bull bars on the other hand are not going to do much. His got all bent to heck from driving through pastures and going through ruts. If you are buying one for any kind of protection put the money in brake pads, its much better there. They are not strong at all, I bent my brothers back with my body weight. Also what are you protecting at that height, the bumper and lower cowling is it, there arent any heat exchanges that low on vehicles. If you need a place to mount lights, its an expensive mount but I say way too much money for a piece of chrome that is more headache than practical. If you like the look of them then go for it, I have spent money on chrome for my truck but in my opinion its a decoration.

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
the bull bars are nice and protect the front end for minor damage against small stuff and deer in some cases but can crush during a higher speed crash. i have onw on my f150 and love it but you lose your tow hooks on most applications. the model i have comes up to the center of my grill

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Alex said:
Did you loose your front hooks? The look on your avalanche is what I want for my '01 Silverado.

Yes, I did lose my tow hooks, but I didn't install it. It was installed as a gift. I have heard that you can keep your tow hooks by flipping them and installing them with the bull bar...

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
I had a bull bar on my Silverado. The same Westin one as on the Avalanche. I had to remove my tow hooks to mount it. The bar worked well for protection against minor incidents. It was hit a couple times by backing vehicles and I hit a snowbank with it. Tuned up the chrome pretty good but it helped save my front end. I didn't like the style though so I switched to a Go Rhino. The same one the police use on Tahoes. I found one used on ebay for a fraction of the price of new. I have to say, I like the Go Rhino a lot better. The style fits the truck better and it is a more heavy duty guard. It is also a much better platform for mounting stuff. I also got my tow hooks back which I like.

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
Useful in Australia for kangaroos. Consistent and strong movement by city dwellers for them to be banned as if you hit a pedestrian even at low speeds theres not much chance of a happy ending.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
Nice. One piece of advice... change the hardware to stainless steel. There are some specific pieces that you can't (like a bolt welded onto another metal piece), but with those I at least changed the nut/lock washer to stainless. If you don't, the hardware will rust and lock up.

Alex

May 21, 2010
Queen Creek, AZ
bigcat said:
Nice. One piece of advice... change the hardware to stainless steel. There are some specific pieces that you can't (like a bolt welded onto another metal piece), but with those I at least changed the nut/lock washer to stainless. If you don't, the hardware will rust and lock up.

I live in Phoenix, could you explain rust to me? jk Good advise, thanks, I will head to the hardware store before installing.

V

VTfireftr

I put a Go Rhino grille gaurd (without headlight tubes) on my 2008 Expedition. The instructions said I would lose my tow loop/hooks. But I was able to reinstall them when I mounted the grille gaurd. Looks good and will probably help protect the truck and passengers in a low speed front impact.

On my F250, I have a custom front bumper made by South Texas Outfitters. South Texas Outfitters - San Antonio's Premier Truck Accessory & Top Drive Manufacturer Very well made and very strong unit. Pricey, but well worth the money. And it has a build in receiver tube so I can move my trailers around from the front of m truck.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.