Burleigh Co, ND Deputy dies from probable heart attack after pursuit, fight

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Deputy Sheriff Bryan Sleeper, Burleigh County Sheriff's Department, North Dakota

Yet another ND LEO dies on duty. It's been a rough summer here, but also all over the US.

I didn't know Bryan, but working in that area for several years, it still hits home to me. I

t's also very eye opening. He was a YOUNG guy, not much older than me, but had been a cop less than I.

Very, Very sad :cry: :cry: :cry:

RIP. We'll take it from here.

May 20, 2010
Hamilton, Ohio
Wow, definitely too young. Im not sure how it is where you guys are at, but here in ohio we would charge the suspect with murder being as that the officer would've died during the commission of a felony. I wish the best for his family..

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Jasen Hatfield said:
Im not sure how it is where you guys are at, but here in ohio we would charge the suspect with murder being as that the officer would've died during the commission of a felony.

My thoughts exactly. He was charged with Terrorizing (Felony) for threatening officers during the incident, so I don't know why they wouldn't. That hasn't been released yet, not sure if it's in discussion. If it isn't, it should be.

Re the BG, I think I arrested him for DUI/DUS during my time at Bismarck. Name is very familiar.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
WSI is now holding up the life insurance payout for his family, claiming "pre-existing condition." If he had this, why was he allowed to work, or why was it never found during one of the many physicals we receive? If you don't know it's there, how is it "pre-existing"?

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
Because the insurance companies are legalized extortion rackets that don't give a f about anything other than making money. The only thing they insure is their own existence.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
My dad died in the line of duty after suffering a heart attack from having to fight a domestic violence suspect for an extended period of time before backup arrived. The kid was on all kinds of dope and it took four officers to subdue him. He nearly strangled his girlfriend to death prior to dad getting there. Dad was 45 and while he was a big guy, it wasn't his first rodeo.

The suspect (who was 17) was summarily charged with homicide, involuntary manslaughter, and various counts of battery. The jury found him not-guilty of everything but a domestic battery charge and resisting law enforcement charge.

He reoffended twice after getting out of prison. In 2009 he shot his brother in the head at close range with a 20 gauge shotgun killing him instantly. The judge finally put him in prison where he belongs.

As for benefits, the only thing my mom got was life insurance and PERF/Workman's comp. The federal law enforcement officer's death benefit denied her.

Chad Byrd charged with killing brother | WLFI - West Lafayette, Indiana

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.