Burnt out Slimlighter LEDs

NJEMS1

Mar 26, 2017
NNJ
I hope this is the correct place.

Recently picked up a new to us chiefs vehicle that had a slimlighter installed in the rear glass.

We plan on replacing it because 2 of the 6 leds on one side do not work. Has anyone come across this before? Is there a way to replace just the LEDs or does whelen make replacement modules?

would love to get them all working again.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I have seen this problem occur in at least one instance where the four-pin connector that connects the LED card to the driver board was not making a good connection. It's strange, but I have seen it happen. I had to solder the socket back onto the LED card in order to get all six diodes to light.

Apr 13, 2012
Texas, USA
I hope this is the correct place.

Recently picked up a new to us chiefs vehicle that had a slimlighter installed in the rear glass.

We plan on replacing it because 2 of the 6 leds on one side do not work. Has anyone come across this before? Is there a way to replace just the LEDs or does whelen make replacement modules?

would love to get them all working again.

I have several Slimlighters and one of them had the same problem. I took off the clear lenses, and saw that the solder connecting the LEDs to the circuit board had broken. I used my soldering iron to put some drops of solder on the existing solder. It worked. I put the clear lense covers on the Slimlighter and put it back to work. It sill works.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.