Burnt strobe reflector?

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
I recently picked up a set of 4 linear strobe heads for my excalibur. 2 were a little crispy, the other 2 pretty useable. The charcoaled ones significantly reduced the light output. So instead of buying new reflectors, i touched them up with some aluminum foil tape.

I cut the tape to a rough shape of the reflector (keeping the backing on the tape), set them in place and did final trimming.

Once I was happy with the shape, I stuck it on.

I had some difficulties with the tape sticking in the cold, but most of you wont have that problem. I got some before and after pictures, Unfortunately, my video camera can barely capture the flashes, let alone the intensity of the volcanic ash reflector and the re-finished version, but believe me, the different is night and day! Its well worth the $20 roll of tape and 20 mins of working, even working out int eh cold! my fingers were frozen cock stiff after, but my strobes look new!

DSCN7231.jpg

DSCN7232.jpg

DSCN7233.jpg

DSCN7234.jpg

DSCN7245.jpg

DSCN7246.jpg

DSCN7253.jpg

DSCN7251.jpg

Ultimate D

Feb 25, 2011
Central Arkansas
Looks like that worked very well. Great idea.

doccj

Mar 4, 2013
Penna
Stainless Steel or Aluminum tape work also, it is IMPORTANT to keep it clear of the strobe tube connections as it can short out the tube or shock you. There is also a chrome reflector spray for restoring tail light from eastwood company.

here is the links to 2 different products

Almost Chrome Aerosol Paint

Eastwood Liquid Chrome & Clear Kit

Here is another product you would have to find someone that does it in your area,

Advanced "Spray-On" Chrome Technology

adhesion1preview

Just check out the site and watch the video on this page and check out the gallery. dont forget to look it up on youtube.

just remember to keep the contacts / wires on the strobe tube clear of any product you use to less the likely hood of getting shocked or causing a short.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
rwo978 said:
Did this to some Whelen strobes, 52 and 500 series. Before/after pics.

Whelen 52 strobes foil.jpg

Apparently I had deleted the pics from photobucket. Before, followed by after. 500 first, 52 next.

Whelen 52 strobes.JPG

Whelen 500 strobes foil.jpg

Whelen 500 strobes.jpg

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
doccj said:
... There is also a chrome reflector spray for restoring tail light from eastwood company.
here is the links to 2 different products

Almost Chrome Aerosol Paint

Eastwood Liquid Chrome & Clear Kit ...

Their products didn't get an overall good review.

I might try the Krylon Premium Metallic spray, as suggested. (Interior use only.) Surface preparation could be tedious. Anyone have experience with any of these products? How do they hold up to the heat generated by the strobes?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
rwo978 said:
Before, followed by after. 500 first, 52 next.

That's pretty impressive. I assume as far as light output there was no perceivable difference at all. That would fool me lens on for sure.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
JazzDad said:
Their products didn't get an overall good review.

I might try the Krylon Premium Metallic spray, as suggested. (Interior use only.) Surface preparation could be tedious. Anyone have experience with any of these products? How do they hold up to the heat generated by the strobes?

I echo that, and for the tapes as well. Especially with the tapes being adhesive backed, Id be interested to know how long they hold up

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
been doing that for awhile on a few projects myself.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
I have also gotten some OK results using the same foil products on mx7000 rotators, they didnt look as good due to the convex shape of the rotators but they were better than what they had in service and no money for replacement parts or bars.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.