Buying Process of my 2013 Chevy Tahoe SSV from Asia Motors

FFDGoss20

Jan 14, 2017
Central Pennsylvania
I had a member of the forums ask in another thread where I bought my Tahoe and how the buying process went. I had intended on posting this eventually, so here it is:

It all started with an eBay auction that led me to Asia Motors website. They had multiple pictures of the vehicle, probably about 40, and all of the details about the vehicle. I immediately contacted my credit union to finance the vehicle. I was approved, so I contacted Asia Motors and told them the date I intended on picking it up. Initially, they would not hold the vehicle for me unless I gave a $1000 deposit, but when I called them on a Saturday and said I would be there Monday as soon as they open, they caved in and said they would hold it.

I left Pennsylvania with my father on a Sunday Morning, and drove all the way to Hammond, Indiana. This was about an hour away from the dealership, so I chose to spend the night here. I woke up first thing Monday morning and got to the dealer about half an hour before they opened. The dealership is west of Chicago, so I had lots of city driving and tolls to pay. When it was all said and done, I spent almost $150 in tolls to drive my car to Chicago, then drive both my car and new Tahoe home.

My first reaction to the dealership was that it was ENTIRELY way too crowded. Thank goodness I called and told them to hold the vehicle, or else it would have took literally an hour to start up and move other vehicles to get it out. Their was only two, maybe three off street parking spots, and their was just way too many vehicles there for the size of the lot. Whenever the staff showed up, they shoveled about 4 inches of snow off the roof of the Tahoe. It was then discovered their was a 1 inch hole, and a 3/4 inch hole that was never plugged or sealed on the roof.

The staff attempted to start the vehicle for a test drive, and it wouldn't start. It had to be jump started. At this point I was really disappointed. As I started to look closer and closer at the vehicle, I realized that they had most definitely used selective photography. I noticed several dents, dings, and scratches that were not pictured or noted on the website. Their was some pieces of trim missing inside the vehicle. The dash had 5 holes drilled in it for some type of equipment. The headlights and taillights had holes drilled for hideaways, but this wasn't a huge deal since I planned on installing some anyways.

I spent about $50 at my local Chevy dealer, and ordered in all of the missing trim pieces. I got an estimate from a body shop to make everything correct, and they quoted me $2600. This included work to two doors, both fenders, both bumper covers, and the hood. The battery had just been drained from sitting, I did not have any further problems with it.

I obviously did end up buying the vehicle, because I still got a good deal on it, and I really didn't want to drive over 600 miles for nothing. I drove it all the way back to Pennsylvania without any issue. In the process of driving it home, I discovered several things. The oil needed changed immediately, several bulbs were blown out and needed replaced, and I also discovered that somebody at some point backed into something and poked a small hole in the rear bumper cover. It had a piece of white duct tape over it. Since I am not an Illinois state resident, I did not pay sales tax, and I was issued a temporary license plate to drive it home. It was literally a piece of computer paper with numbers that you couldn't even see through the dark tint of the rear glass. I couldn't believe I managed to drive the whole way home and not get stopped by any police.

Once I got home, I had to wait for the title. This was when I discovered that the vehicle had a lien on it from Asia motors which delayed the process of getting the title. It took almost a month, but I did get the title and then I was able to go to the notary and Pay PA sales tax and registration on the vehicle.

Overall, I really wasn't impressed with the place. I don't think I would do business with them again, unless I once again made the drive and did a thorough inspection of the vehicle. I think once this Tahoe is retired, I will just be purchasing a brand new one.

If anybody has any other questions regarding my purchase, please don't hesitate to ask. I just wanted to share my experience to hopefully help others.

enforcer30

Sep 6, 2011
MA
I bought a Tahoe from Chicago Motors. I had someone in Chicago look at it for me. I ended up buying and getting it shipped to MA. I ended up replacing the radiator which was a surprise and I put 4 new tires on it which I knew when i bought it. Thing was a tank and ran great until I traded it into the Chevy dealership 2 years later for a new truck. I got all the paperwork with the sale and had a overall a good experience. You just have to remember you're buying a retired Border Patrol truck. It will have dings, minor cuts and tears in the interior and general wear. Not an ounce of rust on it though. I would do it again.

hitman38367

May 23, 2010
West Tennessee, USA
Bringing a thread back from the dead but I felt like this deserves some thought again just in case someone is looking for a ride from these places. I purchased a 2010 Tahoe SSV from Chicago Motors a little over a month ago. Rode the Amtrak from Memphis to Chi-town, caught a cab to the dealership, traded a check for the title, and drove the Hoe home...540 miles. I dealt with "Ted" from the dealership the whole time. Not one hiccup in the buying process. I LOVE my new Hoe. Of course, it has some dings on it, but otherwise it's rock solid. No rust, no unplugged holes, just a solid truck/SUV. Only thing I've had to do since buying it is charge the AC and find a leak, which was a $5 fix of an O-ring seal. I'm now working on upfitting it so it's a long process since I work all the time. My experience with Chicago Motors was nothing but positive. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good used police vehicle, but you gotta do your homework and really pay attention to the details in order to get a good one.

Reactions: StEaLtH2

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Sooo.... thread revival!!

I’m about to do the craziest thing I’ve ever done. I have a flight booked after the holiday for O”Hare. Like others, the Chevy Tahoe lures me to Chicago. Only thing I’ve found online leads me to believe it was titled in New Jersey although the requested photos of the underbelly look decent as I hoped it was used in the South. I’ve scrutinized the ad’s pics but cannot tell for certain if a scratch or just shiny glare. But the price and miles are right to warrant such a bold move. More to follow...
Stay zesty my friends......

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
So I’m back to spill the beans. Not sure it appropriate, but I just want to share my buying experience from Asia Motors.
I bought a 2015 Tahoe SSV w 52k miles
Overall, a good deal. A few things not shown in pictures, (annoying) the truck was dirty and it had just rained so very difficult to see scratches/dents. (More annoying) it took them an hour to pick me up at O Hare, which was only a 20 minute ride I had I requested numerous photos, of the roof and underside which were not shown in the ad pics. Do your homework! The people were very nice and answered all my questions and requests for pics in a timely fashion. The lot was jam packed with all sorts of fleet vehicles. They even took the license plate screws off from the test drive and did not replace them back in the truck.sigh.
I had negotiated a price prior to flying out, did have to put a 1k deposit for them to hold the vehicle which was cross posted on the bay.
For me, it was worth the 1000 mile ride home. Truck rode perfect, no suprises. I would do it again for the right vehicle at the right price.

Attachments

• 24BF1777-877D-4022-B373-3361E38DCC44.jpeg
    24BF1777-877D-4022-B373-3361E38DCC44.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Sparky_911

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.